2 days CR Sept. aprx 8-10

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by GaryMN, Aug 8, 2006.

1. GaryMN

GaryMN New Member

Hi, We have only about 2 days for travel in CR, by motorhome. We are looking at crossing at Dolni Dvoriste/Wullowitz and camping in that area. Also possibly going to a concert at Cesky Krumlov.

We are wondering about other places to cross and other things to do in this region, with our limited time. Especially things that will appeal to a 10-year-old boy.

Also wondering about any cautions about this plan. We are traveling across southern Germany and into Switz, Aus, Czech, and Ita.

Thanks, Gary

2. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Nobody is answering, because 2 days on travel through CR and seeing anything is very short time. You will miss Prague?? You will be sitting somewhere in Cesky Krumlov listening to music and miss seeing town and castle?
    Hard to give advice on your plans.

3. GaryMN

GaryMN New Member

Thank you very much for your reply.

We will be driving a motor home and camping. I must say that as I study this more, I am very attracted to the Czech Republic and want to find more ideas about good routes to travel and things to avoid.

If we enter from Austria, and spend Sept 9 or Sept 10 in and around Cesky Krumlov, where else might you recommend? Prague looks wonderful, but we have only 10 days for all of So. Ger., Aus., Switz, and Czech. Also, I expect it is a problem to enter a big city in a motor home.

I am REALLY eager for your input.

Thank you. Gary

4. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

It sounds like the legendary "If it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium" movie. :)

I recommend you to stay in South Bohemia: Český Krumlov, Hluboká nad Vltavou, Třeboň, Jindřichův Hradec...

5. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Hluboka is the best castle in the country! (It's where I got married) :lol:

But all partiality aside, it really is a beautiful castle.

6. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Gary,
    I don't want to rain on your parade and perhaps your first and lifetime trip out of US, but your plan to drive yourself through Italy, Austria, Czech Republic, Germany and Switzerland in 10 days is not very realistic. It would be even exhosting just to take bus tour of this extend and let someone else do EVERYTHING for you (incl.food and accommodation). Are you really planning to have two days for each country?? Are you considering jet lag person who will be driving may have? Paying for Visa for each person each time before entering country (not sure how many you will need)? Long waiting at the boarders (sometimes many hours because of trucks). Does your plan include driving in unfamiliar areas, including looking for parking for your motor home and camping side? not knowing the languages (slows you down, because you wouldn't be able to ask for direction/communicate. Getting lost driving is absolutely normal and you might end up just seeing roads you are driving on. I dare to quess that camping will not be at convenient location to public transportation and wonder where are you planning to drive your motor home from there. There is another consideration and that is your comparison to distance travel by map, judging by your experience in US. Roads are different in Europe, travel slower in many places. Actually everything is slower (which is nice if you are not in a rush).

Driving motor home is not as common in Europe as it is in US and because Europe is densely populated, even parking regular car is a big problem in cities. I am pretty sure that you are not going to be welcome with motor home even in smaller towns which have narrow streets not built for that. i.e. "Cesky Krumlov" doesn't allow cars in at all.

Most of all - going to Italy and not to see Rome.......going to CR without seeing Prague? It makes me ask what are you looking for on your trip? Is it just reason to be able to say "We travelled through Europe.....have been to ..............(and name the countries)"?

I appologize, if I sound harsh. I could have ignore your message as it is too late to start making plans based on some facts, but hope that there is something more to it than you described.

7. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Gary,

I haven't any idea what to say except... don't.

Pick a country (hopefully CR - it is magical) and enjoy a real european vacation. Take your time, get to know the people, and enjoy the differences.
    If you want an RV vacation, come on down to Florida and visit the Mouse House, Universal, Sea World, and Busch Gardens. We have great roads, camping and wonderful accomodations for RV's.

I know it may be too late for you to change plans and, if you can't, I hope the travel gods smile on you because it is going to be a real "adventure".
    Good luck and have a great vacation.

8. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Almost every vacation my husband and I take, someone tells us not to do it. We drove from Michigan to the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico and back up to Michigan in 11 days. Everyone said not to drive ourselves in Mexico. The roads are back, the people are dangerous, etc. We drove in the most remote spots; some people there had never seen gringos (white people). We stayed away from all tourist spots (except the pyramids and ruins) and had a wonderful time. There were times we got into jam like when we broke down half way up a volcano and had to ride in the back of the truck with about 50 Mexican men coming down from the mines. But the Lord was with us the whole way and we would never do it differently.

I'm sure that if you've planned this vacation you are confident you can do it. You might run into some problems, but they make the vacation all the more interesting. Have a good time!