Ale kuš

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by durk, Apr 10, 2007.

1. durk

durk Well-Known Member

Ale kuš : what does this mean??

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Well, kuš alone could be "kuše" - crossbow ;-)

But "Ale kuš!" or "Kuš!" is common expression for something like "chuck it!" or "stop it!" - it's kind of admonition or disagreement.

Example:

A: Mám novou kolegyni, je docela mladá.
    B: Aha, máš choutky, co?
    A: Ale kuš!

3. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Yes, but in this case it is a verb, right?

“Ale” means “but” and my dictionary states that “belt up” is the English equivalent of “kuš(te)”.

kuš - singular form
    kušte - plural/formal form

classic examples:

Kušte, Švejku! (the most common first lieutenant Lukáš’s quote)

Kušte, kluci, darebáci,
    Češi, Rusi i Poláci!
    Drže huby nevymyté, to vám povídám,
    sic vám je tu dohromady všechněm
    nabaňkám.
    Rus a Polák - Čech a Slovan - to že vám
    je rovno?
    Dobytkové! Co vám z toho všeho pojde? -
    h - !
    (from KHB’s Epigrams)

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Yes, but in this case it is a verb, right?

Yes, it's "kušovat", but I don't know origin.

5. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I found it's from French "couche" - Lie down! (dog command)

6. durk

durk Well-Known Member

Aha then I should have known it :) :)

7. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

If I understand correctly, from everyone has said, this is not meant in any real anger, but just said (for example) when someone is engaging in mild, good-natured teasing to get them to stop. In that case, here are some other possible (American) English translations: Stow it! Can it! Knock it off! Cut it out! Quit it! (Although these can be meant either in anger or somewhat playfully, dependent on tone of voice and context).

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Yes, exactly.

9. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Well, I’m in doubts because imperative forms of verb “kušovat” are “kušuj, kušujme, kušujte”. I’m not even sure what’s the correct infinitive corresponding to “kuš”. One of my dictionaries even states it’s an interjection, but I disagree with it - it’s definitely conjugated.

For “kušovat” the dictionary states:

1) hunting terminology, from French “coucher”
    put a dog into a lying down position with the head on the forepaws and hind legs bended aside the body

2) transfered from 1), roughly
    be quiet, not to be allowed to speak/meddle

3) old Czech verb cognate to “kus”
    share, participate, partake or even interfere, meddle

Well, 1) agrees with eso’s source, but 2) and 3) confuse me a little because they’re contradictory. But it’s right that “kušuj” and “nekušuj” are used often in the same meaning, so maybe…

And in addition, there exists also a verb “fušovat” (definitely derived from the name of Joseph Fouché) which means “interfere into somebody else’s work/authority”.

Both “kuš(te)” and “kušuj(te)” are quite rude, but in Czech you can always use rude words in an ironic way. The intonation is crucial.

Well, a good-natured teasing… When playing mariáš, I use a “Kuš!” to repel kibitzers :wink:.

The “ale” understates the meaning of “ale kuš”, this phrase is mostly used for an (outraged) disagreement (eso wrote it at the very beginning). It means somethink like “Stop elaborate about it, it’s bullshit!” or “Don’t try to deceive us!”.

10. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Well, I'm afraid that nowadays are commonly used much more rude words on a daily basis.

11. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Well, I'm afraid that nowadays are commonly used much more rude words on a daily basis.

12. wer

wer Well-Known Member

No doubts about it.

BTW, the duplicate posting seems be more and more popular :twisted:.

OK, I know it’s a problem of forum software. I often posted a duplicate post when, for example, the first posting is drawn out because of server overload or failures in internet connection. But I learned to be patient during posting (and to save all extensive posts).

13. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Well, today is forum software haywired - database crash probably. I sent PM to admin allready.

14. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Yep, a SQL error occurs during posting of my previous post, but the duplicate posting was frequent before the crash.
    I miss the possibility to delete my own posts.

15. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

Well, I think verb "kušovat" is derived from "kuš", then the imperative is of course "kušuj/te". But as the word "kuš" has some imperative meaning in itself, it became an imperative as it is seen with its ability to be pluralised to "kušte".

The verb "fušovat" is not in my opinion derived from the name of Joseph Fouché but rather from German word " fuschen" - "hudlařit" or "fuscheln" - "šidit". I admit that there are some moment in Fouché's life where one is very tempted to atribute the origin of the word to him but in the light of existence of the German words I mentioned, I doubt it.