Any Polehna's out there?

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by tennesseegirl, Dec 6, 2004.

1. tennesseegirl

tennesseegirl New Member

I am trying to research the Polehna family. I have found several in the U.S and am not able to connect my great-grandfather to their family. My fathers name is Richard (Dick) Polehna, grandfather was Andrew Polehna and my great grandfather was Josef Polehna 1860-1926.

My Great grandfather, Josef Polehna came to America in the early 1900's- we belive he came from the Czech Republic, but cannot find any documentation. I am working on a family tree/scrapbook for my fathers 70th birthday in January.

If you have any information, suggestions or comments, please respond. I am sure all of the Polehna's are related, I just need help finding the roots.

Thank you! :)

2. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

Hi, Tennessee Girl --

Have you seen this:
    http://www.polehnas.com/

I grew up in Cedar Rapids and one family of Pohlenas lived on our side of town (the "Bohemie" side, that is). :D Maybe more than that, actually, but I only knew the one family.

Pohlena's meat market is still the best place to get terrific Czech-style sausages, wieners, etc.

Good luck with your search!

Susan

3. mccorut

mccorut New Member

Hi! Polehna's Meat Market is still doing business in Czech Village in Cedar Rapids, Ia. It was started by an Andrew Polehna, whose son Aldrich was the first Cedar Rapids WWII casuality from the Czech community. My grandfather was hired by Andrew Polehna as senior meat cutter in the early 1940s. Would this be your gandfather, or is it another Andrew Polehna? The only Polehnas listed in the Cedar Rapids phone book today are Thomas C. Polehna and Milton C. and Joyce Polehna. Hope this helps you either include or excude some connections.

Good luck!
    Ruth

4. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

I lived in Cedar Rapids for four years. :D

Great little Czech restaurant there.... :)

5. Mathesar

Mathesar New Member

Hi to everyone:))

Really surprised when found this forum at google!

My name is Martin Polehna. And like i know i am second Polehna who is Martin - the first one died in Iowa in 1972. Andrew was my great-great-grandfather. I am 20 years old.

I live in czech republic. If you want to know..- Polehnas family originally from Blatnice village in Czech. But know some of them live in village Lipov or Uhersky Ostroh.. and some (e.g. Me) in Brno.

If you want to know more or contact me:) you can there - martinpolehna@email.cz

or icq: 218475406