Anyone know anything about Cakov, CZ

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Ink4u2, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Ink4u2

Ink4u2 Active Member

:D Hello All! I'm coming in about a month and will be teaching in the CZ around a little town called Cakov in the Eastern part...can anyone tell me anything about the town and geographical area there and how far will be be to drive from Prague?

2. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

Hi,
    There are villages called Čakov in Czech Republic. One is close to the city České Budějovice in south of Czech Republic. The other one is close to Prague.

See map...
    You should see two red squares with arrow on the map showing where are those two villages.

By quick look at http://www.idos.cz I can see there's no direct connection to either one of those. You have to change trains/busses and unfortunately there's like 30-60 minutes spare time between those two busses.
    To the one closer to Prague it takes about 90 minutes and to the one close to České Budějovice it's about 3 and half hour.

Here's the website of the village close to České Budějovice. Unfortunately it's only in Czech, but you can check out the photo gallery. See the link called "Fotogalerie" in the menu on the left on that website.

3. Ink4u2

Ink4u2 Active Member

Wow, I didn't know that there are so many towns with the name "Cakov" in them...since I don't speak Czech, I assume that maybe it's a generic term meaning village or town? Anyway, I'm going to ask my team leader which town it is again but I think we may be coming to teach near the city of Olomouc....Thanks for the map and information!

4. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

There is a Cakov near Senice na Hane (which is near Olomouc). The population of Cakov is 250.

http://www.senicenahane.cz/stranky/hlavni.jsp?id=216

I've been to Senice na Hane before and the surrounding area is beautiful I think it is also near Bouzov castle.

I'm not sure about a bus leaving Cakov? There is a train line between Senice na Hane and Olomouc, which runs between Prostejov and Olomouc.

Here is a map where you can see the location of Cakov.

[​IMG]

It is located just below the number of 6025.

If you want to get to Prague you will have to go to Olomouc where you will find a number of trains to Prague.

5. Ink4u2

Ink4u2 Active Member

Yes...I think that is the one we are going to be living at for a couple of weeks in July...they told us we could hike to two different castles in the area? Would you be familiar with either of the Castles?

6. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm pretty sure that is possible. I remember hearing that it is possible to hike to Bouzov, which is a beautiful castle. I have been there a number of times. There are also some interesting caves in the area... Mladec and another one I can't remember the name of.

7. Ink4u2

Ink4u2 Active Member

Oh good! That is very exciting! I've never seen a real castle up close in person before! We are very excited to come to the CZ and see your gorgeous country, people and landmarks! Thank you once again for your kindness and maps! It makes it much more realistic to see the place we will actually be living for a short while!

8. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

9. Ink4u2

Ink4u2 Active Member

Now I didnt think I could be any more excited, but after reading your castle Bouzov link I'm thrilled we may be able to actually hike to this magnificent historic structure! WOW!

10. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

This area is definitely wonderful, my cottage is close to that area so I've been to all the castles and caves there. It's gorgeous. There's not only two castles, there's some other smaller ones, few caves, few ruins of castles. And it's also great place to cycle.
    Bouzov is definitely the best castle in that area, I've been there many times and it's just wonderful.
    I'm sure you'll really enjoy your stay.

11. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I guess the second castle is "Úsov", there is a zoological exposition in it.

There is one more cave, "Javoříčské jeskyně", as well.

It was typical elementary school one-day-trip: Bouzov, Úsov & Javoříčské jeskyně.

12. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

If the castle is near Olomouc why does the pic on that website say "Atika České Budejovice" Perhaps "Atika České Budejovice" is the photography company who took the photo? Isn't Olomouc in the Moravian region?

13. eso

eso Well-Known Member

It seems that Atika Ceske Budejovice is publishing house.
    Maybe are photos from some book?

14. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

The castle in the picture is definitely Bouzov. :)

Atika Ceske Budejovice is a photography company, which appears to take pictures of castles etc.