Approaching a Czech male?

Discussion in 'Culture' started by yotes_hockey, Dec 3, 2004.

1. yotes_hockey

yotes_hockey Member

There is a very handsome czech who plays for the hockey team I work for. I would really like to go out with him, but I have some questions before I even try to approach him (I am very shy, but he is so goregeous).

He wears a ring on his ring finger on his right hand? Do Czech where their wedding rings on the opposite hand?

He sits by himself most of the time and seems very shy. Would he be offended if approached him? What would be the best way to intiate a conversation with him? How do male czechs compare to american males dating wise?

Any insight would be very helpful.

2. brigitte

brigitte Well-Known Member

I think the wedding finger is the same for Czechs as most others. Look at Pavel Nedved or Vladimir Smicer (footballers) and they are married, wearing wedding rings on their left ring fingers. Not sure if some wear any on their left pinkies like English (little fingers). Baros wears one on his pinkie. Just had a look at some footie stuff I have.

It could be that he is shy, yet it could be that he is in a committed relationship, and is very much keeping himself to himself because he is that kind of guy. Why not strike up a conversation with another member of staff innocently drop this guy's into the conversation.

A good one "I saw such and such in town today, or at least I'm sure it was him, but he had a a woman with him, and I didn't like to approach and say hi in case he got the wrong idea. I'm sure it was such and such - what does his wife/girlfriend look like, it was possible I was mistaken'.

This breaks the into the subject without actually asking if he is single, it looks like a general comment. i've done it myself about people I want to know something about. Make it look like you are talking about something else, and eke it out. Pick someone who you are sure would know the answer, as you cannot keep using the same line around everyone!

3. Wicker808

Wicker808 Well-Known Member

No offense, Brigitte, but I think that's a terrible idea. Making up unlikely situations just to gain access to second- or third-hand information is not the beginning of a good relationship.

As far as I know, there is no Secret Czech Handshake that is necessary for communication with Czech people. Like most people, he will probably not be offended if you talk to him. It is not necessary to signal your intent with the International Sign of the Knedlik. If this man seems aloof, maybe he is shy, or maybe just lonely. Maybe his English isn't so good.

In other words, if you want to talk to him, talk to him. If you want to know if he's involved, ask him.

Addendum: And by the way, how do you know you want to go out with him if you haven't even talked to him yet?

4. brigitte

Sorry, Wickerman, but I think it is a good idea. What you are referring to would be bad if there was malicious intent - but to try and find out if someone is single or married - come on!! I know you said no offence, but at the end of the day it is a way of finding out the answer if someone is too shy to ask outright. If you read women's mags you would no doubt come across things like that that many times.

It isn't sly at all, just imaginative. Many people find out someone's marital status by ways like this, it isn't like gleaning information that is a threat to national security!! Or to use it to harm another person. That's when it is wrong. At the end of the day it is your opinion. I see nothing wrong with it. If a woman likes a man, and approaches him asking if he's married, some men would wonder why she is asking. Most wouldn't be offended, but some would possibly find it a bit forward, and distance themselves from the woman if they weren't interested. This way it saves a lot of embarrassment from both sides!!

I myself once liked a man who worked for the same company as me, and when I mentioned it honestly and up front with someone else at work, (in so called confidence) word spread like wildfire and I was ridiculed mercilessly by colleagues. The man avoided me from then on and I felt really bad, and ended up leaving the job because of it. Wickerman, it can be very difficult for a woman in these situations to be upright and honest, fine if it works out, but you have to bear in mind coping with possible rejection too.

5. ts

ts Active Member

To brigitte:
    I am a male and sometimes I do read (Czech) women's magazines, but I do it to get a good laugh. Are you implying that you actually believe in things they write? If I found out that a woman lied about seeing me somewhere with somebody, I would not be impressed.

If that guy is shy, his marital/dating status will only be known to his close friends, who might inform him about you seeing him. Again, him being shy, the amount of time he spends with another women is very limited, thus your lie is easily verifiable.

To Wicker808:
    Because he is gorgeous, which brings me to...

To yotes_hockey:
    I wonder why are you concerned about his marital status when the only thing you are looking for is physical beauty. His wife or girlfriend might be far away; there's a chance he might be interested in some short-term, purely physical, parallel relationship.

By the way, in which country are people offended by being asked out?

6. lovelylotus

lovelylotus New Member

I'm sorry, but don't people generally want to go out with people they are attracted to? It may seem shallow to admit, but it is the truth. You can't tell if someone is a funny or nice guy just by looking at him............but I am just going off on a tangent.

Smile if he looks your way, say hello to him, if you work up the courage, ask him something about hockey. If he is receptive, ask him if he would like to join you for some "pivo."

7. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

I see just one (but big) problem in the "brigitte method of getting info".

Telling someone that you have seen Suchandsuch with a girl might make him a lot of trouble. Imagine:

- ha has a girlfriend, who is far away.
    - he wants to be true to her.

- you tell his friend that you have Suchandsuch with a girl.
    - the friend asks him whether it is true, Suchandsuch naturally denies it.
    - providing that the friend trusts your story, he can assume that Suchandsuch has another girl and wants to make it secret.
    - do I have to continue?

See some Shakespear comedies, they are full of these funny mistakes - the trouble is, in real life comes no Elf lord to make it all right.

8. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

yotes_hockey:

1. Do smile.

2. Say: "Hi! I'm curious about Czech beer. Which one is the best?"

9. brigitte

10. brigitte

Eva's reply looks a good one! Perhaps that may be better than my wily ways! :lol: :wink:

11. yotes_hockey

yotes_hockey Member

My sister is really forward with guys and I have seen how it has affected certain ones. That is what I am worried about.

Thanks for your suggestions![/quote]

12. brigitte

This is what I am trying to say. Some people may think I'm being dishonest by my suggestion, but it is the plain fact that although in theory a woman should be able to approach a man, the fact is that often it ends up in frustration and disappointment. There is one rule for men, another for women, much as modern society tries to paint it different. If the woman was beautiful, young, and slim the man would probably not mind, but if the woman was any less, she'd more likely get a brush off. It is darn embarrassing in that situation and it does nothing for a woman's confidence. We are accused of giving off signals , flirting and being forward, when quite often we are just being friendly! Sometimes we aren't flirting at all, and when we say we are not flirting, we get accused of winding men up! We cannot win. Men can say what they like, but at the end of the day if the woman isn't fit enough, she is nothing. I'm going to get grief for this, but it is true. Men want honesty, but at the end of the day, honesty in this department leads to nothing but trouble for a lot of women - so this is why feminine wiles need to come in. The ones who have disagreed with my 'such and such' theory should look at the full picture - why do women feel the need to be sneaky!

Ask 100 men if they find personality more important than looks and you'll probably get about 75 say they do. But ask the same men if they'll think about approaching an unattractive woman, or accepting a date from an unattractive woman and about 98 will say no. How the heck are they going to know a personality if they don't look beyond looks! Also, if a man finds a woman attractive, it is a challenge if she isn't interested, and it is the male thing to try and succeed in wooing her. If a WOMAN does the same thing she is ridiculed!

Men say that they would find it offensive if a woman had lied about something like that, but I in turn think that if a man was to find something like that offensive, he must be very easily offended, and I wouldn't want to date him, anyway - he'd probably be constantly picking holes! If it was the man trying to find out the same about me, I wouldn't be offended at all - flattered yes, that someone was putting in the effort to find out.

One other thing - even if we are beautiful, perfect figures, honest decent women, then there is the question of intelligence. Intelligent women make some men feel threatened, so even if we get past the first base of appearance, if we are too brainy that is a no-no too!! A man gave me the elbow because I knew more about computers than him! And another wouldn't speak to me again after he realised I have many qualifications!

Sorry to be so blunt, but as I've already said, I'm 42, and have had decades of male egos and pride, from my own experience and countless other females! The most fragile thing in the universe is the male ego - it can be shattered by an assumption or a wrong word! :wink:

13. brigitte

I'm on one today! I just thought it would be good to add this post as it does look like I am very anti men!! Not so, folks, just a bit cynical in my old age!! :lol:

I have seen many situations between the different sexes, and many different nationalities too! So I try use my age and wisdom to point out a few things I have learnt. Men may find my opinions offensive, but I am only speaking about what I have observed in society regarding the differences between men and women. I do apologise to any men who are nothing like the way I describe. It must appear a real diatribe - sorry to those. I am not a raving feminist! :wink:

14. Malnik

Malnik Well-Known Member

I'm with you Bridge........ But i think this is a copy of another one in another forum....either that or there are 2 american girls falling for 2 shy Czech hockey playes on the same day.

Mal

15. brigitte

Cheers, Mal! I noticed a similar one too, in another forum! :wink:

16. Malnik

Malnik Well-Known Member

Hey Bridg......Any woman who puts aviation as an interest has me hooked...I think I'm in love (again).
    Mal

17. yotes_hockey

yotes_hockey Member

I guess american girls like shy czech hockey players! Luckily, I am the same age as the czech in question.

18. snow_boarder

snow_boarder Member

I just hope that the shy Czech hockey player that you like isn't the same one I like, though I highly doubt it because this one doesn't wear a ring.