Appropriate Behavior

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Prahalover, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Prahalover

Prahalover New Member

Ajoh!

I have a trip to Praha planned for late May through early June. I have never been to this beautiful city, but have fallen in love with Praha by learning about its rich history and architecture from well-traveled friends. Also, Alfons Mucha is one of my favorite artists and Kafka a favorite author.

I have planned this trip for years, literally. I'm obsessed with having the most wonderful time in Praha, which I am sure will happen. I want to immerse myself in your culture, so not to make a fool of myself or offend anyone.

My largest question:

What is appropriate tipping in Praha and etiquette in a restaurant?

Other questions:

Is Kutna Hora a great place to visit to see the bone art from the Plague and can someone who knows very little Czech get by there?

What is the best day trip from Praha?

Do you have to show ID/Passport to get into clubs or pubs to prove your age? (I am 25, but I don't know if I should carry those with me if I'm going to be drinking. I have a low tolerance to alcohol, and Praha has the best beer in the world!)

I read some of the other posts, and I was concerned when some stated that Praha's residents do not like FAKE "American Smiles." I smile a lot and am really out-going and friendly. Will I look like a dork tourist, if I don't appear more somber?

ANY RESPONSE WILL HELP! Prosím!

:D Jen

2. Torgut

Torgut Active Member

1) I tip 10%. If the service is lousy, as often is, better then, I save my 10% and tip nothing. Outstanding service gets up to 20%. Now... when you tip, don't leave the money on the table when you leave. It's not usual and it may look weird. You say the employee how much should he/her receive or, if you can't communicate, handle the person the money imediately after you got your change back.

2) You can easily get to Kutna Hora. Actually, I'm living here for almost two years and I have been in endless parts of the country... right, not speaking Czech.

3) I can't tell you what is the best day trip out of Prague. There are lots of them. I could pick a few of my favorites, but those wouldn't be the best, but just my favorites.

4) You are not usually asked for ID except if you look like 14 years old. BUT you should carry your ID all the time. As far as I know is againts the law not carrying a valid ID and you will be fined. Police is especially active in bus and train stations but already saw them stoping random people in a metro station.

5) The smile issue is a little absurd. An urban legend, I would say. You are who you are and that's it. Speaking loud in public places is also regarded as bad manners - and in that I agree, not beeing Czech - still people keep speaking loud and they are not spanked because of that.

3. Prahalover

Prahalover New Member

Thank you for the pointers! I am glad to know how to tip in restaurants.

I'm also happy to know that I won't have to worry about smiling.

Also, thanks for telling me to bring my ID everywhere. That would have been a big mistake!

:D

4. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

5. Prahalover

Prahalover New Member

I will definitely try to avoid my usual boisterous tone. I'm not a typical female with a high nasally voice, but I can be quite loud if I had a glass of wine. So I will try to be more reserved. Thanks for the tips. It helps being told what are the cultural faux pas before you enter a country.