Bankomats - help

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by djberan, Aug 14, 2005.

1. djberan

djberan New Member

Please excuse my ignorance, but do the ATMs have english subtitles?

We are travelling soon and reading everyone elses's advice on money exchange think the Debit Card solution is probably the best, but we are a little concerned about our ignorance.

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi!

I don't know about smaller towns, but all the ATMs I've used in Prague so far have an English language version. The "choose your language" option is the first thing that pops up after you insert your card.

Enjoy your trip!

Dana

3. mravenec

mravenec Well-Known Member

If you have a foreign (ie not Czech) debit/credit card you're almost bound to get a menu prompting you choose language before withdrawing. (there might be exceptions, but as far as i know you can rely on this - at least with cash-machines that have a bunch of stickers with different cards on them).
    I would be more careful checking if the debit card you have is an internationally recognised one, like VISA, and not some peculiar Australian sort... :wink:

Anyhow, it's always good to have some cash in the local currency with you.

4. Glynnbuk

Glynnbuk Member

i too was worried about this when i first used my debit card in portugal in april this year, i need have no worries, the machine recognised my card as being not portuguese and gave me the choice of language screen, after that everything was pretty much self evident, but probably best to use a machine in front of a bank first time and in daylight when the bank is open in case you get problems :)

5. djberan

djberan New Member

Thank you for your help - I do have a VISA and the only perculiar thing we'll be taking over is us :lol:

6. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

My AMEX card was refused by the ATM machine on Vaclavske square, so I used my VISA card. The AMEX agent up the square was unable to explain why the operation with my AMEX card was denied as it was OK. Last year I had no problem withdrawing money with my AMEX card.

As in the rest of Europe, ATM machines in Prague have instructions in several languages. You just pick the language you use in the choice displayed at the beginning of the operation.

The only shortcoming of these Czech money distributors is that they only deliver large banknotes (1000K & 2000K). You have to enter a bank to have these broken into smaller denominations.