Best District to live in Prague & do you need a car?

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by delwyno, Aug 12, 2006.

1. delwyno

delwyno New Member

Hi,
    I am sure thhis has all been asked before but........
    :?
    I am moving to Prague on a transfer with my company. I will be lucky enough to be on a good expat package.
    The office I will be working in is based in Praha 5. What area would be the best to live in? I don't mind a small commute and would prefer to live in a nice area with good restaurants, cafes, shopping etc as well as other facilities like gyms, healthclub, green space and nice apartments/houses

Also, I am moving from London where a car is not really necessary due to the public transport. Would I need a car in Prague? What about for getting out of the city etc and going to the supermarket. Here in London, I have everything at my doorstep and the public transport network is extensive.

2. silverkinguk

silverkinguk Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My fave place when I first stayed in Prague was in Suchdol.

:D

3. magan

magan Well-Known Member

I would think that using car in Prague would be just a trouble, there is very limited parking. Public transportation is excellent and just make sure that you are living near-by.

4. silverkinguk

silverkinguk Well-Known Member

I would say that Prague has one the finest public transport in the world compared to the UK,metro,trams and buses that come frequent and on the dot almost.

:D

5. delwyno

delwyno New Member

Thanks very much for the helpful comments to date. I am looking forward to the move but know from previous moves globally that finding the right place to live is important.

6. EmcaTanecnice

EmcaTanecnice Active Member

Hmmm, I can't remember off the top of my head, where Praha 5 is, but I'm fond of Vyšehrad and Vinohrady...both on the right side of the river. Vyšehrad is a bit out of the way, on the red line (metro) and Vinohrady is on the green line. Both nice places... :D And Vyšehrad is a great place if you want a nice view of the river, and it happens to be the supposed settlement of the first "czechs" Tourists don't know what they are missing!
    You don't need a car, the transportation is great. You can basically take the metro to any supermarket you need, or a mall. Czech transportation is.... :!: :!: :!: