Big wreck on D1

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by GlennInFlorida, Mar 22, 2008.

1. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Hope none of you over there had any problems as a result of that series of crashes. What a doozy! 116 cars - we had one here a while back with 30 to 40 cars but nothing like that. At least it appears that no one was killed in the accident.

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

3. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

And the combination of weather, poor condition of the road, and the road being the only hi-speed road connection between Bohemia and Moravia, is gonna cause more accidents in the future, if there is not gonna be any improvements.

R35 (Hradec Králové - Mohelnice (Olomouc)) will solve a lot of trouble, one day.

4. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

It appears that there were pile-ups in both directions, as well! What a mess, but good news that no one died.

5. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

And here we are, another VERY similar accident, this time between Salzburg and Vienna, A1 highway - allmost the same - more than 100 cars in both directions, more then 60 injuries, helicopters, snow...

Global warning.

6. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

How awful!

7. Sam

Sam Active Member

Having been on a regular visit over to see us my 75 yr old mother was on the scheduled CSA bus from Brno to Prague airport that was caught in the middle of this, it can be seen clearly in lots of the press photos, it was side on to the traffic and was 'T-boned' by a truck!
    Luckily she escaped a bit shaken, but 3 passengers were not so lucky, a Portuguese woman was badly cut and I understand is still in a bad way in hospital and another non-Czech broke his collar-bone. They were airlifted by helicopter. The rest of the passengers were stuck on the highway for about 5 hours.
    She said that the weather changed from bright winter sunshine to major blizzard in the space of about 200metres, none of the drivers had a chance.

On the upside we have nothing but praise for the CSA crew who were fantastic and kept all the passengers informed almost minute by minute as to what was happening and when the replacement transport was coming to get them out of there. My mother said that the driver and crew were amazing and she has written personally to CSA singing their praises, especially the courier who was especially kind and caring!

This is more than can be said of the courier on the Student Agency bus nearby who when the CSA courier asked if the women from the CSA bus could use their toilet (the toilet on the CSA bus was smashed up) said "No, we've got our own passengers to look after"!!!!

8. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

That is some pile up. And no one lost their life? That's a miracle.
    To be caught up in that with the screeching, breaking cars. And 18 wheelers coming up behind you. Hard to imagine.

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Just for orientation how this looked like, there is that bus on both pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Suniskys

Suniskys Active Member

I couldn't believe that when I saw pictures. Luckily we were travelling in the opposite direction that day!

11. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

Man, what a major mess! The good thing is no one was killed. Jsem glad that já was not there. Just pray that no one has any bad memories of it. That kind of accident would take a big toll on you.