bramboracky recipe?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by sparkyvanburen, May 5, 2007.

1. hi all
    i am looking for a good authentic bramboracky recipe. does anyone have 1 please? i miss bramboracky and goulash but i know how to do goulash
    thanks in advance

2. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

sorry - i don't know exact measures - about 6-8 potoatoes (grated - some fine - some a bit rougher - choose potatoes that are not too starchy) - let sit to release liquid and drain off - mix with salt, pepper, and fresh garlic to taste - 1-2 eggs - flour and a bit of milk to make a batter like for pancakes - add some sweet marjoram - fry on both sides (lard is traditional, but olive oil is healthier :) )

3. thank you, i will try this
    so for taters that are not too starchy do you mean red taters? or regular old russet?
    thanks

4. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

not russet - they are high starch baking potatoes

try white round potatoes, new potatoes, or red potatoes. fingerlings will do well, too.

5. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

i think the red are better - if i remember correctly (i've not lived in the us for 7 years now) the russets didn't work all that well - i know it took my mother forever to find the right potatoes to use -

if you like bramborak, this is another recipe you might like - it seems to be a south bohemian specialty (or at least none of my moravian family or central bohemian family had ever heard of it)

Bramborka - very similar to bramborak, but baked, not fried:

500 grams cream of wheat
    4-5 grated potatoes
    4-5 dkg yeast (i use i packet dry yeast)
    2 eggs
    1/2 litre warm milk
    2 dcl oil
    salt, pepper, fresh garlic, marjoram to taste

mix all together, let rise for a bit - it should be a pourable batter

grease a baking sheet with edges - i usually sprinkle whole poppy seeds over this - but it is optional if you don't like poppy seeds

bake at 190 degrees C (375 F -- check that though) for about 45 minutes until golden brown and set....

you can also mix in diced smoked meat - both for the bramboraky or for the bramborka....

6. wow that sounds really good, thank you both for responding
    i will try it tonight or tomorrow
    last time we were there my mother-in-law thought it was funny the only things i wanted to eat were gulas and bramboracky casue they are my favorites along with utopenc

7. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

8. gr84all

gr84all Member

For some reason we call them "bramborové placky". My wife is Hungarian and she calls them "lapcsanka". We eat them with sour-cream or with ketchup.

9. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

"Bramborové placky" are prepared from boiled potatoes, while "bramboráky", "bramboráčky" or "cmunda" use raw potatoes.

10. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

In Bohemia...
    In (northern ?) Moravia we didn't use the word "bramboráky" or "cmunda", but "bramborové placky" instead (of course from raw potatoes). 8)

11. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Interesting... so how do you call bramborové placky made with boiled potatoes?
    My family is pure Moravian; my maternal granny and her three sisters graduated from Světluška, an institute preparing so-called "industriální učitelky" (teachers of homemaking) and they always made a difference between these two treats (placky and bramboráky), both in preparing and naming them.

12. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

OK, may be not in the whole northern Moravia, at least in Ostrava 8). As I remember, the "placky" were made always at least partly of raw potatoes (etither raw only or mixture of boiled and raw). The word "bramborák" (not speaking about "cmunda") I learned much later 8)

13. gr84all

gr84all Member

I was born in Ostrava-Hrabová before coming to Canada, and we always called them "bramborové placky". (Made from raw potatoes.)

14. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Besides using raw/boiled potatoes, there is another main difference between bramboráky and placky: bramboráky are always fried in oil or lard, while placky are baked - on slightly greased baking sheets in oven or directly on iron plate put on the burner (of course, my granny was using the wood and coal range, and the surface of placky had to be full of "blisters" - burnt spots. With plum jelly on them or with ground poppy seed and sugar - oh, so yummy...). I guess I will go and fix some right now... :)

15. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Member

Thanks Everyone,
    Was just about to ask you all for a recipe for bramborak, (my Czech man keeps asking for it, but doesn't know how to make it himself!!), and it was here already. What a fantastic forum this is!!
    Jacqueline :D :D

16. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Does one peel the potatoes or leave the peeling on?

17. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Definitely peeled! And if you add some bacon or ham or cubed Polish kielbasa, it tastes so much better...