Breakfast

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Ruzete, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

hello,
    I'm curious to know what Czechs eat for breakfast, In the U.S. cereal, oatmeal and a variety of eggs are eaten. Is it the same there? is cereal popular? If anyone has a response, i'd love to here it!

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Usually, a Czech breakfast consists of a slice of dark (rye) bread or rohlík (yeast roll) with butter, jelly or honey or slice of cheese or salami or ham, spreads are popular too (sardines or egg or or chicken liver or garlic or cottage cheese) and coffee or tea or milk or hot chocolate (kids). Yoghurts and kolache or pastry similar to your sweet bread are popular as well.

3. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

Traditionally, it's coffee, tea or milk with bread or rohliky, butter and jam. The other items Jana mentionned have been added recently. In the past there used to be a second breakfast around 10:00 AM which consisted of a hearty soup or a piece of sausage with bread. The generation of my grandparents used to eat five meals a day: breakfast, midmorning snack, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. The main meal was lunch. I don't know how my grandparents managed to remain slim with all the calories they packed in especially as they lived a rather sedentary life.

4. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

I do not know what Eva2 means by recently, but spreads, cheese, honey, or salami were common parts of the breakfast in my family fifty years ago. Quite often, we had some raw vegetables (carrots, tomatoes, kohlrabi, cauliflower etc.)with it as well, but we had a garden, i.e. our own produces. On the other hand, when my parents were kids, rohlík was a treat brought to them by their parents from the town on special occasions only. Breakfasts of their childhood spent in the country consisted of soup and bread or boiled potatoes, or bread broken to pieces and soaked in chicory "coffee", milk or buttermilk, eventually bread with lard (home-made butter was sold on the market). I remember my granddaddy enjoying his morning kale soup and breaking stale bread into it.

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Because I usually only have coffee (or coffee with toast and jelly at most) for breakfast, a "traditional" Czech breakfast suits me fine. However, if you really get homesick for a "standard" American style breakfast in Praha, go to Bohemia Bagel - they make a very good eggs, bacon and hash-browns combo.

6. mravenec

mravenec Well-Known Member

Hard to imagine that the ubiquitous rohlík was ever something special.. :eek:
    (As it is now the staple food of cz)

7. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

wow, there it seems like the breakfasts' are very small compared to American, although here we call it the most important meal of the day. And lunch isn't a big meal here just a sandwhich or salad or something light. So its a pretty big difference!