Bridal/Wedding gift registry

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by gypzy, Nov 18, 2006.

1. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

After I read Dzurisovak's post about the crucifixes she got for her wedding on the topic about "Jesus in the CZ" it made me wonder--do major stores offer gift registry? Or do people give gifts from the heart based on what they think thier friend/relative would like?
    Also do Czech's have bridal showers before a wedding? Would friends and family also give presents to the bride at a bridal shower?

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

If gift registry is something like Bridal registry, so as far as I know there is nothing like this in CR. The same can be said about bridal shower.

Generally, US style parties (when many people come to private house) are not common in Czech republic.

IMHO it's related to Czech nature. Czechs are more closed to strangers. Přítel (friend) is someone, who you know really well, as many years. Other people are only známí (acquaintances).

You can of course arrange meeting with your friends and they can bring presents, if you and they want. But it depends on individual.

It seems to me, that Americans more abide by general social customs that Czechs, but I'm really not expert and I know US culture only vicariously, so I'm probably wrong.

3. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Gift registries are not common, but they do exist (I think I've seen them in Hypernova stores, IKEA and some gift shops).
    There are also some websites, where you can create such a registry and mention the link to your friends.

Eso is right about the bridal shower - no such custom in CR. There are hen/stag parties though.

4. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

I think a hen/stag party is a "bachelor/bachelorette" party?

Also, I understand that Czechs don't have baby showers either. However, after the baby is born, when friends come to visit the baby, they bring a gift.

5. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

If someone made homemade gifts, such as artwork or linens for the couple would it be considered tacky? Just curious.

6. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Are you asking if it would be considered tacky in Czech or in Michigan?

In Michigan, it depends on the couple.

In Czech, well all I know is my mother-in-law has made me some gifts(crocheted doilies, crocheted Christmas tree ornaments, etc). But then again, perhaps she is considered tacky in her country. :wink:

7. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

I was asking about Czech Republic. I know in Michigan and other states it is generally considered tacky. Since most brides expect her presents to be what she has put on on her registry.

I think that is sweet that your m-i-l has made gifts for you. It doesn't sound tacky to me. But then again I know I'm tacky for using sewing scraps to make presents with. So what do I know :wink: ?