Can I buy Cod and Fresh sausages in Prague?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by rbl, Oct 11, 2005.

1. rbl

rbl Member

Hi!
    I'm leaving today for Prague and I would like to cook for my host a couple of Portuguese meals.
    I would like to ask you if it's easy to find Cod and Fresh sausages?

Thanks! =)
    Ricardo

2. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

Sure, I think it's no problem to buy it in every hypermarket, like Tesco, Carrefour and others.

3. rbl

rbl Member

Great! That means my clothes won't smell funny after the flight ;)
    Thanks =)

4. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Cod and fresh sausage! That sounds like someone will have feijoada?

Viktor

5. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

I know that Carrefour has both sausages and cod. One of the two times I purchased cod there it was not fresh and had to be thrown out. If you do end up at Carrefour, make sure you smell the fish first.

Jeff

6. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

rbl:

Fresh fish is of questionable quality anywhere away from the source. Trucks break down, or the refrigeration unit goes beserk, but the stuff is passed on to the unsuspecting consumer the world over --not only in the Czech Republic -- The business collects the insurance for the spoiled merchandize, but never the less, still tries to sell the product to trusting consumers.

The only time I felt safe eating fish --I just love the stuff, and eat it 5-6 times per week --was when I lived on the Coast of Sea of Cortez, in Mexico and got it right off the boat. Now I live in the desert, and every once in a while, hopping to be lucky, I'll give it a try, but wind up tossing it in the garbage anyway. Even the frozen stuff is not that safe. I guess that is why they freeze it, since it was already going bad (fresh fish demands higher prices)!

By the way, I noticed that they were selling fresh Wild Atlantic Salmon
    (Lossos) in the Czech Republic! The fact is, there is NO ATLANTIC SALOMON left. It has been extinct for over 15 years, worldwide and the product being sold --that is in the US. I do not know where the CZ gets it Salomon from? -- is acctualy farm raised Salomon-- of shore, large netted ponds, and the fish live and consumie their own body waste, due to restricted space and lack of natural water circulation -- , and the FDA has found that the meat has excessive amounts of Mercury levels. the FDA still allows the fish to be sold, they just removed the word "wild" from the label and label the fish as "farm raised Salomon". Nothing about the Mercury content. Little extra "cash"in the regulators pockets sure helps.

I wonder, where the European/Czech market gets its Atlantic Salomon from? There are no known "salt water fish farming operations in Europe" at the present as far as I know!

Viktor

7. magan

magan Well-Known Member

There is Fish/Seafood shop at Dlouha off Parizska.
    Carrefour at Andel Metro stop has a large selection of fresh fish/seafood. Another one I can think of is in Tesco (basement) on Narodni trida.

You can also explore frozen sections.

Lot of fish comes from Poland. I had gravlox I bought last year in Carrefour "Made in Poland".