Can you read this?

Discussion in 'General Language' started by dzurisova, Aug 1, 2006.

1. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

O lny srmat poelpe can raed this. Cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The Phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, It deosn't mttaer in what oredr the ltteers in a word are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the first and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

2. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

V suoivsoltsi s vzýumkem na Cmabridge Uinervtisy vlyšo njaveo, že nzeáelží na pořdaí psímen ve solvě. Jedniá delůtižá věc je, aby blyy pvnrí a psoelndí psínema na srpváénm mstíě. Ztybek mžůe být totánlí sěms a ty to přoád bez porlbméů peřčetš. Je to potro, že ldiksý mezok netče kdažé psínemo, ale solvo jkao cleek. Zjíamvaé, že??

3. dzurisova

I don't know what you are saying Zeisig, but I hope you didn't think I was asking for a czech translation. I would have put that in the translation section. Perhaps I should have put it in the misc forum instead of the General language section. I really just wanted to know if those who know English as a second language can read this.

4. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

Yes, I do understand that.
    What Zeisig posted is something similar to what you wrote, but it is in Czech language. So, can people who learned Czech read it?

5. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Yes, they do.

Or I do, anyway :)

6. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

I think this trick works in every alphabetic language. Probably wouldn't be the same in, say, Japanese tho...

7. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

Yes, it does work with almost every language. I'm just curious whether people who learned Czech (i.e. Czech isn't their mother tongue) and can't speak Czech so well yet can read it or not.

8. dzurisova

Well I can't answer that because I can't even read proper czech yet. Well maybe some things on a 1st grade level.

9. mbm

mbm Well-Known Member

There's a theory (don't know if it's true) that this works in any alphabetical language as long as the average word length is within a certain limit.

Somebody told me once that it doesn't work so well in agglutinative languages such as Hungarian and Finnish because the words are too long to be still comprehensible when mixed up inside.

Maybe somebody could confirm that? Use the Obfuscator!

10. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

I don't see why not. It works for me in my other learned languages (but not in Czech because of my pathetically low level :cry:), so somebody who has a reasonable vocabulary in Czech should be able to read mixed up words, native speaker or not.

11. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Yes, I can read it fairly easily (and Czech is not my native language). As was mentioned, however, I had more difficulty with the longer words.

12. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

This trick does not work well in Hungarian due to the fact that the Hungarian words often consist from more that one morpheme.

For example:

EN:
    I can read (3 words - 3 morphemes) - can be obfuscated in only one way (according to the rule): I can raed

HU:
    olvashatok (olvas- = read, -hat- = can, -ok = ending of 1st person sing., 3 morphemes in one word)

ostahovlak (one of many possibilities) - difficult to decipher readily

13. LaRusski

LaRusski Active Member

Yes, Zsieig, I konw etlxacy waht you are tlkanig aoubt. I hvae seen oehtr epmxaels of tihs ewselher. It is azmiang, inst it? Yes, I can raed taht. :)

I wonder if this works for English-speakers reading the Russian alphabet. Or if it works for Russians using their own alphabet. :?

14. jsmith

jsmith Member

15. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Now, this is interesting. I understand slovio without problems!