candy in CZ

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Ruzete, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

I cna't beleive you don't like rootbeer thats the best drink in the owrld...wellhow maybe not the world but its good any how.

Dana's right on, i did want to send something American regardless if they have alot of candy already...theres no harm in cavities :lol:

About the comment on eskimos We actually do use ice alot here!

2. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

Okay, I can't resist jumping in on this one! :D

Do Czechs like black licorice (the anise flavored candy)? People in the US seem to either love it or hate it, but I wondered if it was commonly found there.

Root beer barrels are an excellent example of a US candy -- even if not everyone likes root beer. Personally, I love it, but have never quite gotten the hang of ginger beer. (Not ginger ale, which is easy to find here, but the ginger beer like is found in Great Britain and the British colonial African countries.)

So, what about ginger beer? Is that common in Czechia?

Susan

3. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Czechs prefer beer without adjectives. :D

No, ginger beer is'nt common in CR.

What does licorice mean for you?

I know "sladké dřevo" (also "lékořice"). That's sweet root. I know only one occasional seller in CR - old pharmacy in my town.

There is also "pendrek". Black substance used for making sweets. It consists of plenty of herbs including anise (anýz), licorice (lékořice) and fennel (fenykl). I think this is relatively widespread in CR (but I buy it mostly in Poland).

BTW, the word "pendrek" is garble of german "Bärdreck" (="bear mess"). It means also "truncheon". I think the similarity is clear.

4. michal7

michal7 Active Member

don't forget Toosie Rolls or Bit of Honey. I was in Poland not too long ago and the Tootsie Rolls were a hit, but the Bit of Honey were not. Also Indian corn candy may work out.

5. Jcarr

Jcarr New Member

Try four seasons ice cream bars at Macro. Good and the price is ok.

6. Kanadanka

Kanadanka Well-Known Member

my friends in CR love it when I send them "after eights", the wafer-thin mint patties covered in chocolate. I wanted to buy them some more when I was in Prague, but never managed to find any.

7. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Kanadanka: I have seen After Eight in Prague - either Tesco (Narodni trida) or Carefour (u Andela) - not sure which one.

With more and more Western companies moving to CR, I find that it is very difficult to bring really "Czech" treats back home. I am always on look out for anything strictly Czech (or at least Polish).

8. Kanadanka

When I was a teen living in Prague, I loved "fialky" those crystalized candies that smelled just like the flower when they disolved in your mouth. I have not been able to find them anywhere for longer than I care to remember. Does anyone know where I could get them from?

9. magan

magan Well-Known Member

You are right! I didn't see them for manny years. That would be something really different. I will be going to CR this Spring, so it will be my mission to "pick some fialky" (pick some violets).

For those who are looking for sweet memento of Prague for family or friends I would recommend box of Lazenske Oplatky - Original. It is unique Czech sweet.

Another one is Kastany - usually in form of box of chocolates. I bought smallish boxes of them in Tesco last time.

10. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Perhaps someone in CR can start to search for "violets" (fialky) in Winter? They are actually small hard candies in shape and colour of light purple violets and they have also taste of sweet violets.

Any volunteers?

11. wer

wer Well-Known Member

One year ago I bought fialky in confectioner's shop under castle in Slatiňany. They were sold by weight, so I think they were made manually by the owner - he is real master.

And not a long time ago I saw fialky at Christmas fair in Veselý Kopec. These were in simple packets - no industrial production.

12. Kanadanka

wow, so they still exist. I found something that was called "candy violets" in Morocco, and bought 4 little jars of them, but they were horrid, citrusy and the "taste" of violets was just in a very thin covering around them. I was so disappointed, I almost cried :evil:

13. magan

magan Well-Known Member

How nice. They are still around. Anybody in Prague right now who can have a look?

They were always sold by weight (in my youth).