Cellphone Ringtone advice...

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by GlennInFlorida, Oct 5, 2005.

1. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I am coming to Prague at the end of the month and am bringing my cellphone with me. My current ringtone is the opening few bars of the "Czech National Anthem" (Kde domov můj) - would that be inappropriate in the ČR? Thanks in advance for your input.

2. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

No, I aslo have Czech Anthem for my ringtone.

3. Káčko

Káčko Member

It is inappropriate. I personnaly hate because it is a dishonour of a state symbol, but ... 95% of population does not think so...

4. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

It's definitely NOT dishonor. I was in Czech Republic, I've lived here for my whole life, I love Czech republic, so WHY NOT to put Czech Anthem as my ringtone. By the way Czech Anthem is very nice. I like to listen to Czech Anthem when my cellphone is ringing, it gives you the feeling that you belong somewhere. Maybe I'm little weird, but I also have very nice poster on my wall about expandetion of EU in year 2004 (It's very nice and I like it very much, if someone wants to see it, I can post picture).

Anyway, you will have no problems with Czech Anthem as your ringtone.

5. GlennInFlorida

Thanks for the feedback - I'm sure there are some who might be offended (here in the States there are any number of people who might be offended by our national anthem as a ringtone - can't stand at attention and salute every time a phone rings, you know) but, I certainly mean no offense, I think it is a beautiful anthem.
    My friends who have never been to the ČR wonder why I have it on my phone - those who have been want to know where they can get it.
    I am looking forward to being in your beautiful country very soon - can hardly wait.

6. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

I think, it's inappropriate when it's overused since it's our national symbol. However, if a foreigner (people will identify you are foreigner ;)) has the czech anthem as a ringtone, I take it as nice that he's interested in CR :)

7. GlennInFlorida

Thanks Ladis,
    that is what I am hoping people will think. And, yes, I know people will know I'm a foreigner - I don't look or talk like a "typical" Czech (whatever that is :wink: ). I do, however, have a facility for vocal mimicry - on my last trip several people (at some questionable venues) insisted that I was really a Czech undercover policeman pretending to be an American because the small bit of czech that I did speak sounded "normal" to them (I think they were just being nice, though).

8. magan

magan Well-Known Member

I am born Czech and I have to say that to play Czech national antem on your cell phone in CR is disrespectful. Why would you chose to announce your ignorance of Czech history and national feelings in public? Why don't you leave it for "at home" when it will be "just a pretty song"?

Also, please note, that discreet ring will do. EVERYBODY has cell phones and just imagine if everybody would have their calls announced by some song. People are already sick and tired of cell phones on public transportation and everywhere else.

I cannot think of any mature Czech who would ever consider using Czech National Antem instead of the ring on their cell phone and I would suggest that you leave your chosen tunes for those who are not familiar with it, thus do not have a strong emotions connected to it. Only if you would be Czech and you would live through some of the very moving Czech history you would understand what this "Kde domov muj" means. In my mind it is sacred.

9. GlennInFlorida

Hi Magan,
    Thanks for your reply. I completely understand your point of view, that is one of the reasons I asked in the first place. Although I only have the most cursory knowledge of Czech history (that which I have been able to glean from guide books and the like), I hold the Czech people in highest regard. I have not shared their struggles, but I do share their feelings. I do not regard the Czech Nation Anthem as "just a pretty song". The words express a deep love of the country and it's beauty, a sentiment I share.
    My cellphone ring is discreet - it is always set to "vibrate then ring" - I usually answer before the ringtone plays (I hate the doggone things going off all the time, too).
    Lastly, following a link I found on this forum, I found, downloaded, and set up as a ringtone a rather zippy portion of the Slavia Hockey team "fight song". With any luck, the only people who might be offended by that are the Sparta-HC fans and I am creating an alternate ringtone from their "fight song", too.
    I will be back in Prague in just 18 days - can't begin to tell you how much I am looking forward to the trip. Last year, when I visited Prague for the first time, I felt "at home" almost from the minute I stepped off the plane. I can assure you it is not just "tourist fever" - I have been many places and the Czech Republic is the first place I have never wanted to leave and get "back home to Tampa" after about five days. I am actively pursuing a course of action that will lead to my eventual retirement in the Czech Republic, not as a fussy old American expat, but as a contributing member of Czech society.
    Děkuji, brzy nashledanou.

10. magan

magan Well-Known Member

:D Hi Glenn,
    Hope you have a really good time in CR. I am here now, already half way between Canada and CR for few years and I love it.
    Mej se hezky.