Central European Studies at Palacký University

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by cablrun, Dec 19, 2005.

1. cablrun

cablrun New Member

I'm going to be living in Olomouc from February through May of 2005 enrolled in Palacký University's CES program. On this forum I've read a lot about being a student or an English speaker in Olomouc but I haven't really been able to find anything about experiences with the University or this program in particular.

The University and CES webpages are rather limited in their English explanations of a few things that I would like to know before I arrive. Can anyone tell me about the living situation? ::What are the rooms like? Are there internet connections or bathrooms in them? Do I live with Czech students or do I live with the international students from my classes? etc. I have many more questions about the program, but I will limit my questions until I find someone who has been there and done it!

2. brook

brook Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    I haven't done the program, but a friend of mine participated in their summer program. She really enjoyed it, but she mentioned that a lot of the Americans tended not to branch out from the main restaurants and hangouts. She recommended trying new places and interacting with Czechs (what a concept! :wink: ). If you have a choice, room with a Czech student. It will help your czech not to mention you might make a friend for life. :)

Wish I could tell you more, but that's all I know. If I can remember, I will ask my friend some more about it and see what she says. Olomouc is not as big as Prague or Brno, but it's quite beautiful and charming, I think. Best of luck!

3. Dalighost

Dalighost Member

Hi there!
    I study at Palacky´s, so probably we´ll meet there in the summer half (if the CES program is part of Political Science institute - as I think it is). I´am local student, but some of the lectures are mixed (well, most of them).

As far as i know from my u.s. buddies, they live with czechs - but they´r quite satisfied so far. But my informations are quite limited in this way, so i´ll ask my japanese friend who participate in CES - surely he will tell you more. Will send you his email asap, if he´ll agree.

4. Dalighost

Dalighost Member

Okey...i´ve sent you PM with the email adress. Best of luck!

5. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

I was studying at Palacky University from Sep 2000-Dec 2000 in the ACM Program (Associated Colleges of the Midwest - USA) or something like that.

I don't think it is the same program though. Although I think mine was called Central European Studies as well... heh... my memory is a little fuzzy as it was 5-years ago! Olomouc is a fantastic city. I went back for four months in 2002.

Now I'm living in Leicester and I'm going back (only for a week) to the Czech Republic in late Feb - can't wait as I love the country.