Christmas in Prague

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by brad900, Oct 27, 2003.

1. brad900

brad900 New Member

Hello All! I will be in Prague for the Christmas holidays, I just hope that I will not be the only person on the Streets as I will be there on my own! If any one has any suggestions for me, a solo New York city boy, I would appreciate it! I need places to go, things not to miss, are the people friendly, good places to go out and party, etc. etc.! Thanks for any help that you can spare!

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Brad,

The streets might be a little quiet on the evening of Dec. 24 when most Czech families are home for their Christmas dinner. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about being alone on the streets of Prague!

Places to go depend on what you like. If you like to sightsee, there are lots and lots of places to visit in Prague - go here for some tips:
    http://www.myczechrepublic.com/prague/sightseeing/

The same goes for nightlife. There are tons of bars, discos, pubs, cafes... Again, you can start on this site to get some ideas. After you arrive, I would suggest you pick up the Prague Post (a Prague English language weekly) that has reviews of places and would help steer you in the right direction.

The people in Prague are generally friendly, especially the younger generation that is usually more open-minded, enthusiastic and optimistic than older people who spent a large part of their lives in communism. Don't be surprised if you're rudely shoved aside by a 50-something sulking "gentleman" trying to get to a vacant seat on a tram, snapped at by a city bus driver, or faced with an angry grocery store employee when you don't put the shopping basket where it belongs. I realize that this kind of behavior would make any American feel like Alice in Wonderland.

3. brad900

brad900 New Member

Dana,

Thanks so much for the response! Believe me I know of the disgruntled working attitude, living in Manhattan will give you a real taste of that! I am counting the days to my trip !!!! Thanks again!

4. clay

clay New Member

Brad --

I just returned from a quick three-day trip to Prague and I can tell you that the Christmas decorations are going up now -- the tree in the Old Town Square was up and lights being strung over it (by guys on a crane) on Friday, and I'm sure that it will be beautiful when all lit up.

And Dana's suggestion about picking up a Prague Post is key -- do that, as you'll find out what's going in on the city, in English.

Enjoy...

Clay

5. Joss

Joss Active Member

Hi

I just thought I'd let you know my favourite resuarants in Prague. The Mucha Restaurant is easy to find and is really good. Walk down from the bottom of Wencelass Square towards old town square and keep a look out on your left! it is decorated in an art deco style and is named after Mucha the artist. They serve excelent food, moravian wines and great beer. They also play live music on a Friday night.

The other place to go which is a bit more up market is the House of the Three Ostriches almost on the far end of the Charles Bridge from the old town. The food is more up market but fabulous. Try the ostrich steaks and saute'd livers. Expect to pay about four times as much as anywere else and don't forget to tip!

Joss

6. brad900

brad900 New Member

Ok all, well I am here in Praha! Can I just say that I love Turkish Coffee! Really makes the time switch from Manhattan easier, I may never go to sleep! In any case, thanks for the suggestions, I will update this thread with my adventures and expieriences!

Brad

7. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Brad,

Good to hear you're in Prague! So you're becoming a Turkish coffee addict. Interesting... Americans tend to be a little wary of it.

Definitely do come back and report on your experiences!

8. brad900

brad900 New Member

Well I am having a rather tough time of it. It seems that not many people here speak English. So many so that I am almost now afraid to say "do you speak english" [​IMG] !

I have made my way around quite a bit, so far I have been to the Prague Castle, The Nardoni museum, The Communist Museum, Wencelas square, Old Town Square-w/the Astronomical(sp?) clock, Charles Bridge...not bad for a lost american ..huh!

I went to the Mucha Restaurant as suggested by Joss, but I found it was a bit stuffy, I much preferred Restaurant MD Rettigove. It was much more "down to earth" and the food was quite good. On saturday night I went to the Lucerne night club and danced danced danced! Last night was the Chelsea bar, both places though...no english, maybe I am just choosing the wrong people to talk to!

When I leave here I am going to try and find the Mucha Museum and possibly go to see the "dancing house" and the John Lennon wall.

Wish me luck!

Brad

9. Joss

Joss Active Member

Sorry you found the Mucha Restaurant a bit stuffy. They might be 'suited up'but the staff are really nice and the speak excellent english. Had my New Years Even meal there - fabulous!

Other places to try for future reference are Cesky Raj (Bohemian Paradise)great swickova and baked rabit. Friendly informal and good value for money. Also try u Dvou Sluncu (house of the two suns)which is a pub on your way down from Prague castle. The food is great and I heard the staff speaking english, german and italian whilst I was there. Try a cut beer whilst you are there (dark & light) Krusovice great.

Joss

10. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Brad,

Sorry to hear you had trouble getting by in English. [​IMG] I'm surprised to hear that. I hope though that you enjoyed your time in Prague nevertheless!