CZ->EN short interview

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by JaneeMichelle, Jul 3, 2006.

1. JaneeMichelle

JaneeMichelle New Member

Hi all!

I have recently begun learning Czech. Sometimes after a study session I come online and look at different sites and articles in Czech. Today I did this, and found an article that caught my interest as it was a short interview with one of my favorite hockey players. However I realized my Czech isn't near good enough to get through it. I was wondering if anyone could be so kind as to help me get this interview into English.

The interview is found here http://sport.blesk.cz/Clanek55378.htm

Please and thank you for your time!

2. LaRusski

LaRusski Active Member

You can go to this site- http://www.tranexp.com:2000/Translate/result.shtml

They translate stuff into several languages including Czech. Just copy the text and paste it in the box, select Czech from the languages, and it'll give you a translation. It may not be completely accurate, but at least it's a start!

P.S. I love hockey too! My favorite player is Jaromir Jagr.

3. magan

magan Well-Known Member

I just tried out Czech/English translation as I know those two languages well and it is just the worse possible. It was very simple letter and it coudn't even translate firs word "Mila..." rest of the letter was mixture of Czech (again!!) and English which was not corresponding with meaning at all. Really, really bad and if you don't know that second language, I can assure you that what will come out of it will make no sense.
    I was hoping that I could find something for my Czech frieds who don' speak English. ......very dissapointed. Perhaps, there is something better around??

4. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

2Magan: What translator you used? The one in the link? You can check out PC Translator as far as I know it's the best one on the market. Unfortunately the available demoversion contains only few woeds in the dictionary, so you can't actually see how good it is. I think that this program is available on those illegal P2P sites, so if you or anyone you know have some experience with it, he could give you the full version for trying that.

5. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will have a look. I don't use translators for two languages myself, but one never knows what else would be needed. I will Google it and will see what I find. Thanks.

6. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't answer. Link I looked at was one posted before.

7. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

I'm not saying this is great translation, but better this than nothing, right?

He'll be spending lot of money. Hockey player Petr Průcha (23) is planning to spend dollars, which he earned for the first season at NY Rangers. "I'll make myself and my mum happy"

What gift will you buy for your mum?
    I won't tell, it's a surprise.

And what will you buy for yourself?

I wanna buy a car when I'll come back from US. What kind? I don't need any family car.

So, any sport car?
    Like that. I'll choose by the look.

And what about your apartment? Will you be still living with Jaromír Jágr?

No. I'd like to live by myself and take care about me. I'll fly overseas earlier, so I'll have some time to find an apartment and move in. I'll definitely stay at Manhattan.

I heard that you even learned Jágr's jokes after the year living with him. Is that true?
    I don't know, but i have to say that the year with Jaromir was very funny year.

Have you changed somehow?
    I hope that my character is still same. I'm still okay and happy.

Do you play differently?
    I had a luck, that NHL changed due to a new rules and it's more technical play now. I didn' thave to change anything, NHL changed for me.

In Pardubice your female fans were everywhere. How is it in New York?
    I didn't have to chase away them. Nobody knows me here. I could go everywhere I wanted without a worry.

How you enjoyed your vacation?

I had four-week day off. I went to Croatia with my friend. It was off season, nobody was there. We went swimming into swimming pool, played tennis and so on. Just great.

And what about football (soccer) fever?

I like that. I haven't been to Germany though. I could manage it, but I didn't take care of it. Watching it on TV is also great. Sometimes we go to a pub for a projection. We also often watched it at Petr Koukal who has a big TV, his girfriend made a dinner, ....

You played soccer few times at a exhibiton matches...
    Yeah, but I want to save my operated knee. It's already okay, but I'm still afraid about it when I kick a ball. But I'l go for the next season at 100%. Second year in NHL is always the most difficult. I know, that there is nothing for sure.

Do you have any goals?

Stay in the team, that's all what I want.

8. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Thanks, this makes sense - not like the previous one. Hope nobody is using it for trying to understand other language.It was disaster.

One you suggested seems to be as good as it gets, with automatic translation.

9. JaneeMichelle

JaneeMichelle New Member

Thank you so much for the help!