CZ --> EN (Translation Needed)

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by KillaCam07, Jan 4, 2007.

1. KillaCam07

KillaCam07 New Member

Hello everyone, could someone give these sentences a shot?

1. My Czech is excellent, I wish I could say the same about your English.
    2. Go ahead. ( Continue with what you were saying )
    3. That's exactly right.
    4. I'm doing great, things couldn't be better.
    5. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean.
    6. Which part of Czech are you originally from?

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

1. Moje čeština je skvělá, škoda, že to nemohu říct o vaší angličtině.
    2. Pokračujte.
    3. Přesně tak.
    4. Vede se mi skvěle, nemůže to být lepší.
    5. Nejsem si jist, zda vám správně rozumím.
    6. Ze které části České republiky původně pocházíš?

But if you will say 2, 6 and especially 4, you will be immediately exposed as fake Czech impostor ;-)

I am considered as very optimistic carefree Czech, but 4 is too much ever for me ;)

3. rfp

rfp Active Member

Instead try saying, i'm not doing so badly, things could be worse!
    (Maybe even alot worse!) ;)

4. milton

milton Well-Known Member

ok ESO how do you tone it down and say in czech something like ,, I've been better, I've been worse" ?

I guess my lame attempt would be something like ,, byl jsem lepsi, byl jsem horsi" , but I don't know if that carries with it the same meaning OR if that's even understandable czech grammar.

-M-

5. eso

eso Well-Known Member

It would be something like "Už mi bylo líp i hůř", but Czech will say rather "Ujde to" or "Jde to" = "I am well enough"

6. KillaCam07

KillaCam07 New Member

Thanks a lot for the help Eso. I'll keep what you said about 2, 4 and 6 in mind.

7. eso

eso Well-Known Member

More info:

About 2 - Go ahead
    Czech in this situation will say rather something like:
    "Ano?" - "Yes?"

About 6 - Which part of Czech are you originally from?

Czech republic is really small, so this question isn't very common (maybe - "What city are you from?)

Czech people are very linked with place, where they were born, so even when they live in other city for many years, they still will say, they are from city A and they live now in city B. So, no "originaly from".

Of course, there are always some exception, but I believe, that generally my characterization is right.

8. Kanadanka

Kanadanka Well-Known Member

nezapomente na "tak tak"
    (so so) .
    Actually, I used to laugh at my dad and my uncle, since the exchange was always the same
    Uncle: "Tak co, jak to jde"
    Dad: "(with a sigh and a weak wave of his hand) "Ale, tak tak"

9. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

I asked my husband why Czech's don't feel free to be so positive. His reply was, "Well things could always be better." He then went on to say that he thinks it might have something to do with the fact that things were so miserable in communism and misery loves company. If you were doing great in communism, then you neighbors would be jealous and assume you must be cheating the government in some way and they may turn you in.

Anyone on this site that grew up in communism, would you agree with that explanation or no.

10. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I think it's partial reason, but not exclusive.

I believe, that if in next at least 25 years no enemy will invade our land, then we became optimists too :)

But even then probably no so demonstrative as Americans :-D
    We more like make fun from disasters and problems. It's our way.

Dzurisovak, do you consider any another nation (Germans, Japanese, Brits, Russian?) on same positive level as Americans, or even higher? :D

11. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I really wouldn't know. Most Americans are pretty self-involved, wrapped up in our own country. Until for some reason we find an interest in a different country. In my case, I married a Čech. But we usually don't have a general understanding of other cultures and ways of speaking. :oops:

12. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

I think this attitude is not result ot the communist time, it's much older, probably from the time of czech "suffering" under the Habsburg monarchy :) .
    Of course, the communist rule contributed to this too.