Cz -> EN two sentences

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by rfp, Jan 5, 2007.

1. rfp

rfp Active Member

I'm almost finished reading the article I was working through, two sentences giving me trouble:

First:

arterialni konec je fixovan pomoci aortlnich oblouku prochazejicich žabernimi oblouky

The arterial end is fixated by the aortal arches "prochazejicich?" the baranchial arches?

Second:

vytvořem a splynutim hlavnich endocardovym polštářů se rozděli kanal na levy a pravy

Thanks,

Rob.

2. Kanadanka

Kanadanka Well-Known Member

"prochazejicich" = I guess "carousing through" would be closest

"vytvořem a splynutim hlavnich endocardovym polštářů se rozděli kanal na levy a pravy"

by the creation and melding of main endocardial cushions the channel divides into left and right...

I am a speech path, not a cardiologist, so this is the best I can do :)

3. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

I am not a cardiologist, too :) and not a native english speaker :):)

4. Kanadanka

I am not a cardiology EITHER (not 'too)

5. Kanadanka

oops, typo,
    I am not a cardiologist EITHER, and neither am I a native english speaker

And yes, Karel, we can tell :)
    and neither am I

6. Karel_lerak

"I am not, too" is czenglish, not english :) Thanks :)

Já také nejsem kardiolog.
    Já jsem také kardiolog.
    In czech use "také" in both cases

7. Kanadanka

Ano, Karle, ja vim ze co uzivaji v cestine - ja jsem Ceska :)

8. Karel_lerak

Předpokládám, že si to čte i někdo jiný než bezprostřední účastnící dialogu - rozhodně nechci poučovat 8) A jsem moc vděčný za jakoukoliv opravu, díky :!:

9. Kanadanka

Funny, going back to the original post and seeing what it was about - and where it ended :)
    Let's hear it for the "Czech need for perfection". We all have something to learn :0)

10. rfp

rfp Active Member

Thank you both,

I was working with "Ambling through"instead of "carousing through", just as confusing! Passing through makes things a bit easier.

However, in the translation of the second it's a bit ambiguous whether "vytvořem a splynutim" means "because" of the formation and fusion or "during" the formation and fusion. Any ideas?

"By" is a really common Czech to English translation i've noticed that leaves things a bit unclear sometimes. A bit like translating "Delat" as "makes" rather than "does", it can work for both in czech but in english i've heard czech native speakers ask what a particular structure or muscle, etc, "makes" rather than "does". "By" can mean though the action of (ie because) or possibly while something else is happening.

I'm only learning czech at the moment but find the different ways these words are used interesting.

And yes, it's pretty funny how far these topics can diverge from the original question!

Rob.

11. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

If I may join in this obsession for grammatical correctness :D

Another option
    I am not a cardiologist either, nor am I a.............
    nor=and also not

neither can also have a significantly different meaniing
    neither=not one(out of two)==opposite of both

Neither of those two know how to tell the truth

12. Karel_lerak

= ani jeden z nich/ani jeden z těch dvou nevěděl, jak říct/říci/přiznat pravdu

Taky se moc rád nechám poučit :)

13. Kanadanka

It's difficult to say, I based the translation exactly on what the Czech text offered. It may help to have the full paragraph, or more of a context. My background is neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, and in my field, the only time I wory about cardiac problems is when the treatment interferes with the function of recurrent branch of CN X :)

14. rfp

rfp Active Member

I'm afraid that's all there was, it was a few bullet points on development, something i'm studying / translating.

Btw, i'm not a cardiologist either! ;) Just a student.

And to go even futher off topic, why the recurrent branch in particular?

Rob.

15. Kanadanka

ok, rfp, this is then from embryology. I studied oro-facial embryology only, but I'll check to see if my old textbooks have any references to it.
    Good luck meanwhile...

16. Kanadanka

Because it wraps around the aorta, and can be damaged during cardiac surgery. And since I work with speech and swallowing disorders, and CNX recurrent branch innervates most of the laryngeal muscles, I am highly interested in its status :)

17. rfp

rfp Active Member

Thanks. I was being a bit dense i'm afraid, read your original as meaning when your treatment interfered with X and resulted in cardiac problems. Like I say, dense :?

R.

18. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

rfp
    Jsem zvědav, proč používáš člany z lékarskách knih k učení česky?
    Those must be the hardest of all to translate.
    Jsi pravděpodobně student léku na univerzitě.

19. Karel_lerak

20. rfp

rfp Active Member

zvědav? Does this mean the same as zajímalo by mne? I'm interested?

And yes, I study medicine in Prague. A large amount of the anatomy here is taught directly from three textbooks by a czech Prof. čihak. It has a differnet structure and focus sometimes than the equivalent english texts. (And quite a few questions get pulled directly from them :) )They are reallly nice books though and i'm amazed at how quickly i'm starting to be able to read them. It's pretty easy to just ignore quite a bit of the grammer when reading descriptive stuff. Certainly easier than the Letopisy Narnie i'm trying to read!

And thank you for pravděpodobně, I didn't know that word.

Robert.