CZ - Eng assistance, please

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by McCracken, Sep 19, 2007.

1. McCracken

McCracken Well-Known Member

Could someone clarify the following phrase for me, please. A friend is taking her baby son to an eye clinic and writes:

"jdeme k ocnimu lekari, na prav.ocicku mu rostou rasy smerem do oka"

Thanks

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

We are going to ophthalmologist. His lashes on right eye grow towards his eye.

3. McCracken

McCracken Well-Known Member

Thank you very much, Eso.

4. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Hopefully not the ophthalmologist's lashes :)

5. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Hmmm... Just curious about a finer point of Czech language. When parts of the body are mentioned in a phrase as an object (direct or indirect) without specific use of the reflexive possessive, are they automatically attributed to the person mentioned in the subject of the sentence, unless otherwise specified?

E.g. Should one specify "do svého oka" in the given example, or is it implicitly specified by construct in the Czech? (i.e. is there ambiguity in Czech if one does not use "svého" in this sentence?)

I seem to recall this was the case in Spanish (ex. "Él tiene dinero en la mano," instead of "en su mano.")

6. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

...na prav.ocicku mu rostou rasy smerem do oka...
    Here, there is no need of saying do jeho oka (not svého, as řasy is the subject of the sentence, not the baby boy), because mu expresses implicitly whose eye and lashes are mentioned.

7. mbm

mbm Well-Known Member

The sentence may be ambiguous syntactically, but not functionally. The fact that the diminutive of eye (očičko) is used here makes it much more likely that she's talking about the baby and not the doctor.

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Maybe the doctor is midget ;)

9. Troll

Troll Well-Known Member

"Jdeme k očnímu lékaři, na pravém očičku mu rostou řasy směrem do oka."

I'm affraid that this sentence is unambiguous.

mu = lékaři (as nobody else is mentioned)

10. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Please consider the sentence is out of context.