CZ - > ENG ( quick ones )

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by classic, Jul 18, 2006.

1. classic

classic Member

Hi folks, wonderin if you could help translate the following two bits ;-) Thanks a bunch.

jezinkote!

ty ses nejak rozpovidal

2. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

Jéminkote! = Jesus My Lord! (from German Jesus Mein Gott!)

Ty ses nějak rozpovídal! = You speak too much! (roughly)

3. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Roughly :eek:? Rather suprisingly or ironically. IMHO it's something like

I wonder you started talking!

4. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

What is IMHO?

5. wer

wer Well-Known Member

In My Humble Opinion

6. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

geez, somethings got you talking

i.e., you've become more communicative

maybe??

7. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

meluzina, is that your translation? So are you saying that Jéminkote is not "Jesus my Lord" but more like "Geez". I had learned it because I'm Christian and I was planning on using it in a religious sense. But if it is more like when people say "Jesus Christ" and they are swearing then I don't want to use it. Please let me know someone. Thanks

8. meluzina

i would say it is used more as an interjection and not in a religious sense - why i used geez - isn't that kind of a way of saying "jesus" but not using the lord's name in vain? of course, someone might correct me

and yes, geez is also an ancient language, but i don't think it's used in that sense when used as an interjection

9. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Yes, that's perfect.

I agree that "jéminkote" and "jéžinkote" lost religious connotation (less in case of "jéžinkote" since Jesus is more apparent in this word). Now, it expresses only astonishment (including the angry or ironic one).

10. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

There is definitely a difference between:

(Nejdříve nemluvil.) Pak se nějak rozpovídal.

and

Ty ses nějak rozpovídal! (with stress on nějak)

I cannot express such subtle nuances in English.
    (It must be a myth that English is easy.)

11. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

deleted

12. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

well, of course english is very easy - spelling and pronunciation in particular.
    for example:

ghoti is pronounced like "fish"

tough = f
    women = i
    nation = sh

simple, eh?
    :wink:

13. meluzina

- the nejak rozpovidal doesn't necessarily mean too much - it implies that someone is talking more as in being more verbose (when i put communicative, i should have put verbose or vocal maybe) - depending on the rest of the context, it could be too much

the way i would make them different in english is for the first - He started talking (for a change). for the second, i still don't think the something's got you talking is an inaccurate translation (i think the way it's said would make a difference and can even imply the too much) - or something's loosened you're tongue -

14. milton

milton Well-Known Member

The more languages I learn (so far English, Spanish, Vietnamese, some Laotion, and now only about 30-40 short czech phrases), the more I am thoroughly convinced that American English is the poorest vehicle to communicate opening up ALL kinds of avenues for misunderstandings. Other languages, in my opinion are better in terms of their structure. I find that I have much less misunderstandings and that I'm able to be very precise when speaking other languages using a lot less words than I would have to in order to communicate the very same thing in English... I think that one thing y'all need to keep in mind is that translations are never 100% one to one.. There are many phrases that just don't translate over. You have to deal with it and make due with what you got. Its part of the learning process inherent when learning new languages. Anways sorry to ramble on. I just thought that maybe this insight would help this thread topic move right along.

Best Regards,
    Milton

15. classic

classic Member

Have been out of net access up until now - so apologies for not sincerely thanking all of you sooner for your replies and help! Most grateful :)

In the context Ty ses nějak rozpovídal was used to me, I can truly vouch that the below sums it up in a nutshell. Especially with the exchanges I had after that was muttered! Thanks again.