Czech Absinthe

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Bagpuss, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

Does anyone have any experiences of drinking Czech Absinthe ? Which one is the best? There is a Czech method of drinking absinthe (absinth?) which involves sugar and fire as opposed to water. Did you try it?

2. amraam_7

amraam_7 Well-Known Member

I used to drink it, but I stopped after a nasty accident :) Yes, there is a method, you put some sugar on a teaspoon, then carefully let the sugar soak with absinth and light it up. you have to be careful not to set anything or anyone on fire :) then, you light the absinth, say cheers, blow out the fire and drink.

3. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

Nasty accident? Drinking and fire are not good companions! Better use water next time :D

There is some debate as to how long absinthe, or absinth, has been around in the Czech lands. There is art work depicting the green fairy (the lady that lives in the absinthe bottle) at Cafe Slavia and a story about absinthe being popular during the dark days of Nazi occupation.

I don't know if anyone has any insight or historical knowledge about this? Could be that the renaissance in absinthe drinking is part of the "Stag and Hen" scene? :(

4. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Living in the US, Absinthe is an illegal beverage. However, at eh Czech Embassy, being Czech soil, it is NOT illegal, so they have had an Absinthe and Dinner in December. We went one year and learned how to drink absinthe (yes, with the sugar and fire). It was an unusual drink and I rather enjoyed it, tasted a little like the Greek Ouzo.

Link to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe

5. amraam_7

that's strange, due to some "unfortunate" accidents, i'm allergic to both ouzo and absinth :lol:

6. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

Absinthe at the Czech Embassy: Yes, I heard about that. I think that they serve Hills Absinth; Radomil Hill is from a family of absinthe makers (Hill's Liquere of Brusperk) dating from the 1920's.

Have you had any accidents with pivo, amraam? how about Becherovka? :)

7. amraam_7

no, i'm fine with beer and becherovka :)

8. mwnn

mwnn New Member

Thats actually a common misconception among Americans. Absinthe is legal for consumption but illegal for distribution. There are many websites that will ship to the U.S. at a very small shipping fee. Don't ask me how I know :D

9. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

You might want to take a look at

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacat ... ricted.xml

if customs finds it on you, they will confiscate it (although I have heard, not confirmed, if you only have one bottle they may "look the other way", two or more and it is bye-bye Green Fairy).

10. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

My husband only had one bottle last year coming back to the states from Czech and they took it. :cry:

I've never tried it. I don't think my husband wants to carry me home. :wink:

11. Absinthia

Absinthia New Member

Leave me a message here if you like - I have a few traditional Czech absinth already here in the US I can share.

12. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

So, where are you located? What part of the US?

13. Absinthia

Absinthia New Member

Normally west coast, but visiting the midwest until September.
    My brother and I share a flat and he's still there, however, so having him ship something from there would not be a problem.

14. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

Hey hey hey heay, fellaz :lol:
    You confuse two very different things!!!

You confuse "absinthe" and "absinth".

"absinthe" is the real French alcohol that was forbidden due to its capacity to kill high amounts of neurons

"absinth" is a Czech imitation

For more info, see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe#B ... le_Absinth

[not irony](all hails to Wiki, goddess of Knowledge and Truth :lol: )[/not irony]

15. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Either way, customs at O'Hare took it from my husband. :evil: