Czech - American Relationships

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Livormortis, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Livormortis

Livormortis New Member

Hello all,
    I have a question that I find difficult getting answers to.
    Is (of has anyone been) anyone in a Czech / American relationship, and if so, notice distinct cultural differences in attitude toward relationship or marriage? This includes the in-laws' attitude (on the Czech side).

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Well, this is just my personal experience - I am Czech and my husband is American. We did not encounter any cultural differences as regards marriage. And my mom and my husband just adore each other (we lived together with my mother in CR for three years), even though they do not speak each otherĀ“s language except for some basic expressions and sentences.

3. Livormortis

Livormortis New Member

Thanks for your reply. I ask because I am Czech, but my wife is American and has had some frustration with my mother and sister's intrusiveness. ;)

4. idemtidem

idemtidem Well-Known Member

My guess would be that just about every girl (I don't think that guys are as sensitive to it) has experienced that. All in-laws are going to be intrusive at some point - some more, some less. I don't think nationality has necessarily something to do with that. I sometimes find my American in-laws intrusive too!

5. rhenium3

rhenium3 Active Member

Livormortis,
    I am an american and I am dating a Czech (and dated one before this one for 3 years). Major culture difficulties here and there. With the inlaws, I don't think we (americans) are used to the "Czech mothers". I noticed that many Czech boys are "mommy boys", and those that aren't are still very close to their mother. It can be a bit hard, especially coming from a culture that puts more enphasis on the husband/wife/child relationships than mother and child relationships (if that makes any sense).

Good luck with it all!

Hilary