Czech Characters - Question about key strokes

Discussion in 'General Language' started by WKPlamen, Aug 16, 2004.

1. WKPlamen

WKPlamen Member

This is my first post other than on the Introductions board so please don't flame me for asking this. It must have been answered before but I have not seen it and I have been unsuccesful searching on my own. I use the regular old American keyboard and often type in the German language. In German I type alt 0223 for ß and alt 0252 for ü, etc. I am just getting into typing some Czech and I don't know the alt keystrokes for typing the special Czech characters - well for the dlouhy znak on some letters I guess I could use the French-like accent grave. In the past I was instructed to just use the single apostrophe following a letter that carries the me'kky znak and to forget about indicating vowel sound length. Please pardon my ignorance but I see folks around here using the proper characters and wish I could also. Are they using a special keyboard? Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

2. you can download a czech keyboard. thats what i did. i dont leave america for the czech republic for 2 days and i type in czech on my keyboard here. i think its like bohemica.com where you can get it. and you can switch it back and forth from english to czech. hope that helps
    hayley

3. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

You can install Czech keyboard to your operating system. Then you get very similar layout to the American one, just the Z and Y keys are switched, and you are able to write the accent letters using the top row of keys.

If you are using Windows, just go to Control panels -> Keyboard -> Add and choose Czech. You can then switch keyboards by pressing (usually) left Alt + Shift.

The only problem will be remembering the layout. Bohemica has some help.

4. WKPlamen

WKPlamen Member

Thanks Halef and Chicadee for the info. As it turns out though, either because I am using Windows XP or it is something that Dell does with their computers, when I go to Keyboard on the Control Panel I get different choices than shown on bohemica.com. With some other help I was able to find the proper area though. With my OS I can go to Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, Languages, Details, Add, etc. Now I have choice of three keyboards, English, Czech and German with a language tool bar where I can just click through to the desired language.

By the way I am curious why there is now "n with a haček". Even the Czech keyboard displayed on Bohemica does not show the n haček unless I add the haček on after the letter like žizenˇ.

5. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Some letters must (and all can) be written that way - there are not enough keys :) Just press hacek (Shift + accents key) and then n, and you will get ň.

6. ježek

ježek Member

hi here are the ones if you don't want to download anything:
    á: alt 0255
    š: alt 1544
    ž: alt 0158
    ý: alt 0509
    é: alt 0233
    í: alt 0237
    but I do regret to say that when you want to write r with the hacek, it comes up as ø...but it still works, so it looks like that to you and me, but it looks like r with hacek to Czech computers. (alt 0248). C with hacek is the same way, but it looks like this è (alt 0232).
    That's all......mej se hezky.

7. Frans

Frans Member

Thanx for the info.