Czech children are more bratty now then ever..

Discussion in 'Culture' started by ta, Mar 2, 2008.

1. ta

ta Well-Known Member

I moved to the US when I was 18 so I was raised in Czech. And the truth is that our parents (and my friends' parents) were pretty strict: no talking when adults are talking, no talking back, you do what I tell you.. (Of course, we also had a lot of fun with our parents)......As a parent now, I see the true value in their strict manners: it pays off!
    But I think that those times have changed quite a lot. I don't know what it is but ever since the wall came down in 1989 this parenting style has been slowly melting away from the Czech culture. The Czech kids are much more brattier now. My mother is a high school teacher (Business school) - has been for about 25 years . She told me just recently that the current freshmen students (born after 1989) are very rude compared to the older kids in school. The teachers are sometimes affraid to even write on the blackboard because if they turn away from the class something bad may happen. She said that has never been the case in the past. Also, schools have a lot of gangster groups now.
    So, I think that that is unfortunatelly the prize the Czech Republic had to pay for its democracy... :?

2. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

The same could be said about some children in Canada as well. My dad was a teacher and he said the behaviour of children has gotten much worse over the years.

3. Anna683

Anna683 Well-Known Member

Same in the UK too. My dad retired from teaching a couple of years ago and said the same thing. He also noticed a change in the parents' behaviour as time went on. Apparently many parents didn't have the respect for teachers that they used to have, sometimes siding with their badly-behaved kids or challenging teachers about daring to discipline them.

Generally, teachers don't seem to be as highly valued as they used to be. I have a friend who recently stopped teaching after 15 years, although it was her lifelong ambition. She was a dedicated teacher who did her job very well and would go the extra mile, but became sick of the constantly changing rules, the constant upping of demands on teachers by the education authority and the expectation that teachers entertain the children at all costs and not let them get bored. She found that, by contrast, little was expected of the children themselves.

4. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

Something to keep in mind, the problems of today's youth has been a continous recorded problem since Socrates.

I'm not saying this to justify today's youth but I remember how troublesome my generation was while in school.

There also is a nature to forget the bad and remember the good, from this perspective I remember many of the times that I was complimented while I was young about how good I was.

The times that I was bad, I don't remember....except of course when I talked back to a school clerk, had my attitude adjustment from Sister Ignatious, went back to my 4th grade classroom where Ms Crawford was busy taking off her rings...........her ringless hand made contact with my face.. :oops:

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

From the musical "Bye Bye Birdie"

Kids!
    I don't know what's wrong with these kids today!
    Kids!
    Who can understand anything they say?
    Kids!
    They are so ridiculous and immature!
    I don't see why anybody wants 'em!
    Just you wait and see
    Kids!
    Kids! They are just impossible to control!
    (Soon you'll be old enough to be)
    Kids! With their awful clothes and their rock an' roll!
    (Another teenage delinquent)
    Why can't they be like you were,
    Perfect in every way?
    What's the matter with kids to--
    Kids!
    What the devil's wrong with these kids today?
    Kids!
    Who could guess the they would turn out that way!
    Why can't they be like we were,
    Perfect in every way?
    What's the matter with kids?
    What's the matter with kids?
    What's the matter with kids today?

6. ta

ta Well-Known Member

I know, kids tend to be unruly, that's why they are kids, but: one thing is to be a disobeying child and another thing is to be a rude, disrespectful, bordering-with-dangerous teenager. That didn't used to happen.
    So, to summon it all up: Whatever happened to mom's wooden spoon? DId it get lost in the trash long time ago???? :wink:[/b]

7. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

It was deemed illegal and replaced with “time-out”.

I personally love "time-out". Every kid should sit and think about why they got that swat on the butt. :wink:

8. ta

ta Well-Known Member

totally agree....

9. pedro1974

pedro1974 Well-Known Member

do u mind the tv(with violence, sex, fake ideals...), the aggressive society, the OGM food, the drugs, the pollution, the stressful life style, the speedness...could "help" young generation to become so?

it doenst matter where they live and were born, everywhere they are the same.

everywhere the responsability is of this "new world order" :twisted:

mtv generation, gangaster hiphop, mc don.lds, cocaine, $$$$$, fast and furios...these are only a few the examples. :twisted:

10. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

Pedro,

Good points but ultimately the Parents are the ones that should be raising these children correctly and not depending on others....MTV and so on.

11. Suniskys

Suniskys Active Member

Don't blame the kids, it's not their fault. Blame the parents for not raising their children right. I was brought up to respect my elders and all other people. My son is taught the same.

12. ta

ta Well-Known Member

Exactly..

13. Petr_B

Petr_B Well-Known Member

Well, for many if not most children in their rebellious phase of life (early teens) the authority is their peers, not their parents. Even for parents who want to do right thing it can be difficult to raise their children properly, when most of the society just doesn't seem to care or even heavily favours children "rights" over proper parenting. I once saw on some (government sponsored) Czech web page for children, that when parents want their kids to do some minor housework (wash dishes, vacuum carpets, take out the garbage etc.) it can be considered to be child abuse and children should report such parents. :x It's hard to believe, but it's true, too bad I can't find the page now.
    And while it's true that we adults always complain that children these days are worse than we used to be, some things are truly different now. I do believe that violent TV shows/movies and videogames have bad influence on children. Also some things seem to happen only because certain new technologies are here - e.g. committing nonsensical acts of violence just so you can tape it and upload it on internet video sites like youtube.
    I don't want to sound like an apocalyptist, but sometimes it really looks like we are fast approaching the society described in Burgess's Clockwork Orrange book.

And as for Czech children at high schools. Children at high schools are different than they used to be during communistic regime. Back then, mostly only the smartest and hardworking ones made it to high school, the rest went to "uciliste". And there WAS a general difference between behaviour of "studenti" and "ucni". Also, when someone misbehaved at high school he could get kicked out easily, I don't think it's so easy nowadays when schools compete for students (it used to be the other way around just two decades ago).

I think the loss of teachers' authority and parents always siding with their children is well illustrated in this joke (sorry for my clumsy translation from Czech, I hope the substance got through):
    <End of school term, mother and father are looking at their kid's school report full of C's>
    Mother to Father: This calls for beating, don't you think dear?
    Father: Sure, but do you think the teachers will be still at school at this time?

14. pedro1974

pedro1974 Well-Known Member

in CR, as I saw when I live there, many mums take care of the kids.
    for what I know, the czech governament helps the mums, to do the best job of the world, grove up a GOOD PERSON, with good feeling, ideals, kindness...
    maybe not all do it in the best way, maybe many prefer the job career than the social salary...I dont know, but I'm sure the czech teenagers are better than italians or western in general, as they can be more time with the mums.

unfortunatly, many time the tv (or video games, internet...) provide to the education of kids of this generation and the results are what we are talking...