Czech Courses in Texas?

Discussion in 'Language Exchange & Czech Classes' started by uselink, Aug 19, 2004.

1. uselink

uselink New Member

Hello. I live in Dallas/Fort Worth. I really want to learn Czech. I think it is a beautiful language (as my opinion on, I think, all Slavic Languages).
    I just have not seen it availiable in any colleges in the area? Do any of you know of any? Perhaps I overlooked their courses available.

I would really like to learn Czech (along Albanian, Russian, German, and Maori!).

All I have right to help with my Czech is this little Berlitz book!

:(

_Kristina

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

The University of Texas (UT) is the only place in Texas I know of that offers Czech courses. Here's the link to their Slavic Languages and Literature website:
    http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/slavic/index.htm
    Of course they also offer Russian and German there, but I couldn't find any Maori or Albanian (you might be on your own for those ones). Good luck!

3. brook

brook Well-Known Member

Hello there,
    I'm not aware of any Czech language courses in the DFW area (I grew up there :) ), but I know of other resources you can utilize, if you don't plan on moving to Austin (which you actually should consider - I just love Austin :) ). Here are some suggestions:

Czech Meetup
    http://czech.meetup.com
    Here you can search for people to meet up and learn/speak Czech with or to learn more about the Czech Republic, make friends, etc. The meet up is every 4th Tuesday of every month (next one is August 24th). There should be one in your area. (disclaimer: I've never actually done this - I only recently discovered this!)

Czech Embassy in Washington, D.C.
    http://www.mzv.cz/washington/
    The Czech Embassy has a plethora of information.

Also, check out local private language schools like Berlitz and see if they offer Czech (or Russian). It might be a little expensive, but you would get the classroom environment. Learning a language on your own, especially a language like Czech, is difficult. Also, see if you can find a private tutor, which is what I'm doing now to keep what little Czech I know still alive.

Hope that helps. :D

4. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Brook is right about Austin. There is quite a large Czech expat community in the area, including several small towns in central Texas that maintain their Czech heritage. Most, perhaps, don't speak Czech, but you'll find some that do--much more so than most places in the U.S.

5. brook

brook Well-Known Member

Side note: If you ever get the chance, check out the town of West, Texas. There is not much there - it is most famous for it's Czech Stop bakery and a nice, convenient stopping point for the long drives between DFW and Austin - but it's very interesting to drive through this town in the middle of Texas and see things like "Janaček's Pizza." (yay! Czenglish!) :mrgreen: They have good koláče too, but it's not quite what you'd find in the CR.

6. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Ooooooh yes! Kolace in West! Not exactly like Czech, but definitely good!

7. sherman

sherman Member

Wow, someone has heard of West, Texas! Don't forget Czhilispiel (sp??) in Flatonia, every October. It's a HUGE beergarten/parade/music -fest. Expect LOTS of Shiner beer and kolaces! Towns like Praha and Caldwell, TX have strong Czech roots and in many cases some people only speak Czech in these towns. They may be of some help!?? Maybe check out this website, http://bulgarian.meetup.com/73. There are many groups like this throughout Texas. I think they are primarily a geneaological group, but may help with language. To get started, I recommend Colloquial Czech by Naughton.

8. zaner

zaner Active Member

Hello,
    Try to find out if DFW has a Czech Cultural Center. The one in Houston offers a Czech language course. Also, Local Lingo and Bohemica.com have lists of private tutors.
    Best of luck!