Czech Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by sirprof, Sep 22, 2005.

1. sirprof

sirprof New Member

:?: I wish to buy a keyboard for the czech language for my pc. Czech language only, not english and czech. Could someone direct me to an english friendly web-store where I may purchace one? :?:

2. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

try www.alzasoft.cz

only in czech, but click on Klávesnice a myši

I use the stickers on my english keyboard, only 20 kc :}

3. evian

evian Well-Known Member

Did you get those from there?
    Mind telling me where you got them (if) on that site?
    Thanks.

4. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

No I did not get the stickers from there, but here in Prague they are available almost everywhere you can buy computers. I bought mine next to I.P. Pavlova

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

6. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

Wow, 13 USD, they are less than one dollar here :roll:
    Glenn is correct, at least you can get them online

7. GlennInFlorida

Supply and demand, I suppose - really irked me to pay $13 for a little sheet of sticky plastic but, what can you do? No such items available in Tampa.

8. brigitte

brigitte Well-Known Member

Funny I should come across this thread, as I was only thinking about this a few days ago. I want to be able to type Czech characters on my English keyboard, but am not sure a couple of things. Firstly, a Czech/Slovak friend of mine messed up my keyboard a couple of years ago by changing the language to either Czech or Slovak. All my keys went haywire and when I wanted to type something in English I was getting different characters from what I typed. At the time I was still on Windows 98, but had lost the 98 disk to sort the problem out.

Since then I have had my pc upgraded and am now on XP. I would like to be able to type Czech characters, but am put off by the problems that occurred previously, as p was installed by a pc engineer and he didn't give me a disk, just changed it to xp on his work premises.

Sounds a bit silly, but regarding stickers and keyboard overlay, I would probably get a second hand keyboard and actually paint over the original keys with the Czech keyboard characters, and just switch keyboards when I want to type in Czech. Sounds a bit stupid, and it wouldn't solve the original issue for me with actually changing the pc settings, but once I get used to what is where! Other than that print off a Czech keyboard character diagram, and put it by the pc!! :)

9. GlennInFlorida

10. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

In XP, you can add almost any langauge

Control Panel, Regional and langauge settings, langauge tab, add the one you want.

To toggle between languages, alt-shift

But you still need to have a Czech keyboard or the stickers to know where their letters are

11. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

Yes, just add the czech keyboard layout and set a key combination for changing your keyb. layouts (menu Start / menu Settings / menu Control Panel / icon Regional and Language Options / tab Languages / button Details... / button Add... / select Czech in the field "Language" and "Czech (QWERTY)" in the layout field / button OK / select English in the top field "Default language", if it changed to Czech / button Keyboard Settings (at the bottom) / double click the item "Changing languages" / I have there Ctrl-Shift for changing languages (the default Alt is too far from Shift on my notebook keyboard), you can change it / button OK / button OK / button OK - i don't know the real english names of the items since i have czech windows xp).

Then you can paint "czech characters" on your keyboard according to this screens.

12. brigitte

brigitte Well-Known Member

Interesting replies folks, thanks - I've added the links to favourites. And I'll print off the Czech keyboard layout.