Czech sayings and winged words

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Alex_ru, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Alex_ru

Alex_ru Member

Hello everybody! :)
    Could anybody provide me with link or something concerning czech sayings and popular expressions in czech but with translation into english or russian (or german)? Strongly needed!
    Thank you in advance!

2. wer

wer Well-Known Member

3. Alex_ru

Alex_ru Member

Oh... I saw czech idioms but I missed czech proverbs... That's what I need for now. Thanks, Wer! :wink:

4. Alex_ru

Alex_ru Member

I like this one: "Pivo dela hezka tela". :D
    And this one "oko za oko, zub za zub" sounds absolutely the same way as in russian... :)

5. doman

doman Well-Known Member

Je to pravda ? Tomu moc neverim ! :D :D :D
    Presnejsi je "Pivo dela velka bricha". :D :D

6. Alex_ru

Alex_ru Member

:D Doman, this for sure.... Beer makes big stomach.

And about first we have the same but about vodka.
    "Ne bivaet nekrasivih zhenshin, bivaet malo vodki". There're no ugly women, there're lack of vodka.

7. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

This is often said as a joke, rather than a saying/proverb in the CR and it's often (probably mistakenly) attributed to Oscar Wilde.

8. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Hmm ... I'd always heard Глаз за глаз, зуб за зуб. Is the other an archaic rendering of the same? I can't remember ever hearing the word око being used in Russian.

9. wer

wer Well-Known Member

It’s a biblical saying and in religious texts a lot of (Old) Church Slavonic words is used.

10. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Oh, okay. I thought the choice of words was most likely from a Biblical reference, but I didn't expect such Old Church Slavonic phrases were much in use by the average Russian layman; hence I assumed it was just a Russian archaism.

11. Alex_ru

Alex_ru Member

Sova, and for my turn I've never heard "глаз за глаз". :D Just to clarify... Yes "глаз" is more modern form of "universal" slavic word "oko", but it's still used in russian as well as word "usta" in the meaning of "mouth" especially in villages. :)
    At the beginning of previous century words "oko" and "usta" were basic for this parts of body in Russia.
    Nowadays if you want to say something romantic for example to your girlfriend you're supposed to use this "old" words "ochi", "usta". Sounds very nice... :D
    Also in villages you can still hear "chelo" for "forehead", "brukho" for "stomach" (that's probably why I can understand czech "bricha" without translator), "lanita" for "cheeks" instead of modern "shcheki".
    :) There're lots of interesting in slavic languages... at least for me.