Czech Wine

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by kobylisyzizkov, Dec 7, 2005.

1. I rather like wine and was a bit disappointed with the quality of Czech wines which were at best hum drum when I first visited 18 years ago. Strangely I found out that Czech wines could be good and even very good when, back in the UK I found a source of quality Czech wines from small growers that someone imported for a while. More recently these sorts of wine have become generally available especially in Prague. Tesco on Národni Třida has quite a good selection.
    A Great tip is to go to the Botanical gardens in Troja http://www.botgarden.cz/generate_page.php?page_id=1186 where there is the St Clára Vineyard with a wine cellar that will happily open and serve you a glass of any of its very many bottle of wine from the Bohemian and Moravian vineyards for a very modest fee. I guess the Wine cellar may not be open in Winter although we were drinking there this October. Best to go with a reasonably sized group of people and then you can try out quite an assortment by passing the carafes around.
    Oh! and that reminds me there is a similar but more commercially based service for Czech Beer if you go the Beer Gallery in Holešovice http://www.pivnigalerie.cz/ where they will open any of there very large selection of Czech beers if you ask them.

2. silverkinguk

silverkinguk Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Personally I liked the Tramine wines and Czech wines were nice.
    My friends and I would open a bottle of Sklepice,a nice red and strong stuff we just loved it.Buy it on the weekend mind you.

:)

3. brook

brook Well-Known Member

A favorite of mine was "Modry Portugal" but it wasn't as widely available as say Frankovka. Don't know if that's changed in the last few years. Still, a nice red. :)

If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend going to one of the numerous wine tastings/festivals in Southern Moravia. I went to one in Valtice and Hustopece. I enjoyed the one in Hustopece the most, simply because it was smaller and I loved the relaxed atmosphere. We brought along our own cheese, meat and bread, found some chairs and had a blast! The Valtice festival is a bit larger, but also a lot of fun. And of course Valtice is quite beautiful. (both are also relatively inexpensive)