Czech Wines

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by kimimarc, Sep 21, 2007.

1. kimimarc

kimimarc New Member

What to do?? I'm not a big beer drinker, rather, I prefer wine, both reds and whites. I'm looking for suggestions for decent drinking wines...what to look for that would resemble burgandy's, sauvignons, etc. Trust me..this could make or break my upcoming trip with friends..nothing worse than sitting in a bar and your friends are whooping it up without you....THANKS

2. AJ

AJ Active Member

Hope this is not too late. I just saw your post.
    Don't worry. You will be able to whoop it up.
    Czech wines have improved in the time I have been here, but it can still be trial and error. It used to be all 11-12% now you can find 13-14%. The long hot summers have definetly improved things.
    They can be lighter and not as full bodied as New World wines, but there are some stoaters (wine term!) out there.
    For the whites, the most popular varieties are Muller Thurgau (dry and fruity if its good) and Veltlinske zelene (light and aromatic)
    For the reds Svatovavrinecke and Frankovka are the top two varieties and Rulandske modre (a mix of cabernet sauvignon and Pinot Noir)
    You can always find a sauvignon or a chardonnay as well.
    If you like sparkling, Bohemia Brut will do the trick. 139Kc to buy in the shops and can be as reasonable as 200Kc in bars and restuarants.
    0ne small bar here does an absolutely beautiful glass (2cl) of Muller for 20Kc !!!!!!!
    So, for glasses ranging from 20Kc to 60KC, I'm sure you'll find something you like.

IN. VINO. VERITAS :)

3. AJ

AJ Active Member

Hope this is not too late. I just saw your post.
    Don't worry. You will be able to whoop it up.
    Czech wines have improved in the time I have been here, but it can still be trial and error. It used to be all 11-12% now you can find 13-14%. The long hot summers have definetly improved things.
    They can be lighter and not as full bodied as New World wines, but there are some stoaters (wine term!) out there.
    For the whites, the most popular varieties are Muller Thurgau (dry and fruity if its good) and Veltlinske zelene (light and aromatic)
    For the reds Svatovavrinecke and Frankovka are the top two varieties and Rulandske modre (a mix of cabernet sauvignon and Pinot Noir)
    You can always find a sauvignon or a chardonnay as well.
    If you like sparkling, Bohemia Brut will do the trick. 139Kc to buy in the shops and can be as reasonable as 200Kc in bars and restuarants.
    0ne small bar here does an absolutely beautiful glass (2cl) of Muller for 20Kc !!!!!!!
    So, for glasses ranging from 20Kc to 60KC, I'm sure you'll find something you like.

IN. VINO. VERITAS :)

4. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

in cervisia vis,
    in aqua bacteriae.