Day Out - Olomouc city or countryside

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by McCracken, Oct 2, 2006.

1. McCracken

McCracken Well-Known Member

I am visiting a friend (briefly) in Olomouc area in the next couple of weeks. As a suprise day trip, can anyone suggest a itinerary for a day out, either in Olomouc city or in the surrounding countryside (preferably north or west), including somewhere nice for a long(ish) lunch? I will have a car so distance is not too much of an issue if I decide on the country option.

As a supplementary question, what is the Czech for "day out" or "day trip"?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

3. McCracken

Thanks Sigma. Information on Olomouc is kind of scant on My Czech Republic (unless I am missing something) but the other link looks promising. I have been to Olomouc, went to some nice restaurants but I cannot rememember exactly where or what the names are!

4. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

The Czech word for a day trip is výlet.

5. McCracken

Thanks, Sova

6. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

What type of things are you looking to do/see? I've been to numerous areas around Olomouc. There is plenty to see and do.

7. McCracken

Hi Sigma, I have decided to spend some time in the city and also drive out to Bouzov castle. Thanks for your help.

8. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

If you like museums, I recommend the new Archdiocese museum. Bouzov is also well worth the trip - nice drive as well.

9. EmcaTanecnice

EmcaTanecnice Active Member

Bouzov was beautiful, and Helfstyn is supposedly amazing too, but I never made it. Something closer, but worth a little day trip, is the Zoo at Svaty Kopacek (take bus 11 from the main station, it's the stop between the station and the post office - posta - and the zoo is at the last stop, you get off and walk a while. If you get lost, someone can help you). You can go out to Slatinice, there is a really nice spa there. If you prefer something in Olomouc, try taking a walk through the park at Flora. It should be beautiful in fall colors right now. As for something indoors, try any of the museums. They are all great. There is one on Namesti Republiky that is free on Wednesdays. It's in the green building next to Cafe 87 (also nice, with english on the menu, and very friendly.)

And dont forget to crowd around the clock at noon to watch the saints :wink: enjoy!

10. McCracken

Thank you Emca and Sigma. I am looking forward to my visit, albeit a very short one - so much to see and so little time!

11. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

If it is sunny you can get a great view of Olomouc and surrounding area from Svaty Kopacek. It is one of my favourite places near Olomouc.

12. EmcaTanecnice

EmcaTanecnice Active Member

Have you ever climbed the tower at the ZOO and looked?? It's even more beautiful, especially on a clear day. I miss Olomouc and Svaty Kopacek. :cry:

13. McCracken

Thanks to all of you who replied and gave suggestions. I had a great visit, albeit short. Bouzov was superb, the view from up near the zoo excellent and the city itself was wonderful. I also found a really good view of the city and surrounding area from a panoramic restaurant at the top of a tall building near the main railway station. I also managed maintain a conversation of sorts for six hours or so with a friend who only speaks Czech (although there were some very long pauses while the dictionary worked overtime!!).

14. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

No I have never climbed the tour at the Zoo. I just got back from a week in Olomouc and made a trip to Svaty Kopacek. It was a beautiful day and almost no one on the hill.

15. Walker

Walker Member

I think it's about time to note that the nice place is called Svaty Kopecek.

16. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Actually, it is called Svatý Kopeček, but I think Kopáček is an appropriate nickname because of all the digging and reconstruction work happenning there. :)

17. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

:?

18. Walker

Walker Member

Thanks for the correction Jana, obviously I'm out of date.