Day trips from Prague?

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by czechchris, Jan 19, 2005.

1. czechchris

czechchris Well-Known Member

My wife and I will be visiting CR in early March, going to Prague first as we always do, and perhaps visiting friends in other towns.
    We usually spend the last few days in an apartment in Prague which belongs to a friend, and we always like to try to visit somewhere new each time.

We like to have a "day-trip" but NOT an organized one! We make our own way around, and practice our language skills (or lack of).
    We have previously visited Křivoklát, Mělník, Nelahozeves (Dvořák's birthplace) Čáslav, Kutná Hora, Žleby, and Kralupy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for somewhere new to go around Prague, which is interesting? It doesn't have to be a "touristy" place, as we quite like seeing the country in the raw, as it were.

2. Geleen

Geleen Active Member

I'm not able to advise any non-touristic places but if you haven't visited Karlštejn yet, I advise you to go there for sure. It's only about 30km from Prague and it's quite famous.
    This castle has created on the 14th century by Charles IV for Bohemian and Holy Roman Empires crown jewels.

You can use Plzen highway for going there but I advise you to pick a smaller road from Prague 5 (Lahovice) to Karlštejn. It's a really lovely road via several nice villages.

3. czechchris

Thanks Geleen, for that suggestion.

We have no car, so we always use local buses/trains etc. I'll have a look at idos to see how to get there.
    Thanks again.

4. Geleen

Geleen Active Member

As much as I know, you should get there by train. But details you have to check yourself.

5. czechchris

Yes, I will look into this.

Do you know if places like Karlštejn are open in March? I know that some attractions are closed at that time of year.

6. Geleen

Geleen Active Member

There may be some exceptions but the castle should be open during whole year. But check http://www.hradkarlstejn.cz/ for more information.