December visit in CR

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by misha, Nov 18, 2007.

1. misha

misha New Member

I'm going with my mother to visit CR from December 11-27 and have concerns regarding renting a car for the duration of the trip. Being that we're native Central Texans, we don't drive very often in inclement winter weather. Are we at risk for renting a car for this trip?
    We are coming in through Vienna, going through Brno (where we have relatives in the area) and proceeding on a route that follows along recommended UNESCO sites, including Prague of course. We will loop through Olomouc and return back to spend Christmas with the same relatives before departing Vienna.
    Any suggestions? Also, tips on clothing (as I heard that this winter is going to be colder than usual) and other places that shouldn't be missed in this season would be greatly appreciated! My mother's first language was Czech, and I'm learning Czech, so communication shouldn't be too much of an issue.

We are so excited! :D

2. finn

finn Active Member

You should expect temperatures between 5 and 40 °F (-15 to 5 °C), the average temperature in Prague in December is around 32 °F (0 °C). Driving a car in winter on main roads isn't a problem - until some snow calamity appears :)

Make sure that in your chosen car rental are cars with automatic gear box available if you are used to drive such cars - here in Europe they aren't very popular.

3. misha

misha New Member

I drove a standard for a good 8 years, so I'm confortable with them. Geez, it looks like we're in for some cold weather... I'm wearing shorts outside this morning and it's 8:30 in the morning!

Thanks for the tip, Finn.

4. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Hi Misha - welcome to the forum.

Take a look at the "Search Forums" area above. If you list key words like clothing, shoes, winter and so on, you will find a lot of help preparing for your trip.

It can get cold in Prague (think Dallas in an ice storm) - layered clothing is probably the best option - inside spaces can be toasty warm, you'll want to take off coats or jackets.

Hope you have a great visit - BTW, your home (Austin) is a wonderful place, too. I've had a lot of fun on 6th Street many times :wink:

5. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Having gone from Austin to Prague and thereabouts myself, I'll tell you to be sure to layer yourself in warm clothes. Those of us who grow up in Texas don't have any clue about such things. Bring the thickest coat you have and a few sweaters and/or sweatshirts to layer underneath. You may even consider buying a warmer coat when you get there. Remember also, that if you are touring, you are going to be on the streets for extended periods of time (perhaps hours on end).

I never drove in the Czech Republic, so I can't comment on that, other than to say that I didn't learn to drive on snow until I came to the Northeast.

Have fun!

6. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

When in Czech Republic, I bought the warmest coat I own for only $30 from a Vietnamese shop. Well I can't really call it a shop. It looked more like a flea market but with brand new things rather than used -- outdoors with tables every where. Look for those since you don't need the greatest quality given it won't get much use.

7. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Sorry, what I meant to say is "you might want to look for those..." Sometimes my suggestions come across as demands. :)

8. misha

misha New Member

Thanks for the tip regarding buying a coat there. I did something similar when I was in New York last May and was caught off guard in Chinatown. I ended up buying a black "pancho" for $5 and it has become somewhat of a staple in my Texan winter wardrobe.
    And, no, I didn't take offense that you were demanding that I do such. I had been considering the idea already! (Trying to keep packing to a minimum...)