Diminutive of names?

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by Justin, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Justin

Justin Member

Could anyone tell me the possible diminutives of the name 'Roland'?

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Rolek, Roleček or Rolo...

3. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Jana's suggestions are cool but I think a lot of Czechs are not able to recognize original name Roland - for us it's unusual name. Strictly grammatically Rolandek/Rolandeček or Rolandík/Rolandíček but that's strange.

4. Justin

Justin Member

Děkuji! Am I right that the vocative of Roleček would be Rolečko, and the vocative of Rolek would be Rolko?

5. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

It would be if you spoke Haná dialect :) , but in common spoken Czech it would be Rolečku and Rolku.

6. Justin

Justin Member

Díky, Jano!

7. Pip

Pip Member

What about the diminutive(s) of Jaroslav?
    Pip

8. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

It will be Jaroslávek. And then there are many others derived from nicknames for Jaroslav (Jára, Jarda, Jarek, Jarouš, Jarin, Slávek): Jareček, Jaroušek, Járinek, Sláveček. The last one can be used for any male first name ending or starting with -slav, e.g. Miroslav, Miloslav, Stanislav, Branislav, Květoslav, Slavomír, Slavomil.

9. Pip

Pip Member

Thanks, Jana.
    And I have a follow-up question. My extremely limited experience leads me to think that men at least always use a diminutive or nickname rather than their "real" name. Is that right? And if so, why?

10. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Diminutives? No way!!!
    In Czech it's strict grammatical cathegory. It expresses smallness (youngness, childishness) or some emotions. Therefore it's used to address little childern or somebody very closely related.
    Using of diminutives among (adult) men is very extraordinary and it could result in unexpected consequencies :twisted: :twisted:.

I suppose you mean familiar forms. These are very often used as shortened version of long (formal) names (long formal names sound standoffishly in informal speech) or to distinguish persons with identical name (one Jaroslav is Jarda and another one Jarek). It's also used because of easier declension. And it is no male particularity.