Dog Breed Restrictions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by CZdansky, Aug 31, 2007.

1. CZdansky

CZdansky Member

Here in parts of the US, some citys and towns are taking action against a breed of dog that was developed here. The dog is an American Pit Bull Terrier, one of America's most decorated war dogs and beloved up until about the 80s. Lately undergroud dog fighting has taken a front page, and many citys & states are considering restricting and/or and outright ban.

Is there anything like this in CR?

What is the general attitude towards these dogs?

Are they romantizied as born killers in the media there as much as they are here in the US?

2. Petr_B

Petr_B Well-Known Member

Just a few recent newsreports from Czech Republic revealed by quick search for "pitbul" on idnes.cz (in Czech language):
    August 28, 2007: pitbull killed his owner
    August 9, 2007: pitbull attacked 2-year-old girl
    May 20, 2007: The police shot pitbull who attacked his owner
    April 22, 2007: Pitbull hurt former chief of army dogs training

Of course most of the owners of pitbulls says: Ours is a real darling and he just loves kids, he would have never hurt anyone. I love animals (though I can't afford to keep any) including dogs, but I really believe that such dogs shouldn't be kept as pets. The risk is too high. Sure, statistically-wise most attacks might be done by other breeds of dogs, but the wounds caused by pitbulls and likes are usually much more serious than e.g. bite of a dachshund.
    Major part of the problem is the kind of people who buy such dogs (pitbull, bandog etc.) to fit their image of a really tough guy. :evil:
    Another part of the problem is that many owners just let their dogs roam free in public places frequented by many people including children. But hey, it's bad enough if your beloved dog gets attacked, it's not only people being victims. Also, owners of dogs who hurt someone usually got away without any real punishment. But finally there should be a new law regarding this.

3. eso

eso Well-Known Member

These fight breeds need accordant training. Otherwise they could be dangerous.

Few days ago Czech Supreme Court adjudicated that owner of dog is responsible for harm caused by dog in same way as driver is responsible for harm caused by car during accident.

Let's hope this help to reduce furure damages.

4. Petr_B

Petr_B Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that although dogs are our best friends accompanying humans for millenia, they are still predators. Pitbulls in particular were carefully breed with a single purpose on mind - to create the best fighting dog, which resulted into promoting certain characteristics because of which I believe they are really ill suited to be kept as pets.
    Trained or not, any dog can be dangerous and pitbulls are both difficult to control and capable to inflict serious wounds to humans or other dogs. Even a dog trained well can become startled (often unintentionally) and attack all of a sudden, although it isn't necessarily its own fault. Sure, very often the owner is the one truly responsible and a dog itself is innocent - but do you think victims really care about that?
    I can't remember (but my memory is quite bad) reading any report about other breeds of dogs attacking a human and I'm quite sure this happens too. I guess it's as CZDansky wrote - pitbulls DO attract media attention because of their nature-born killers image.

By the way, before pitbulls and other more exotic kins of fighting dogs came here, doberman used to be labeled as the most dangerous dog - being quite dull and aggressive, even towards its owners.

5. CZdansky

CZdansky Member

Thank you for your replies!

I don't nessarily think they make bad pets, but they are not pets for everyone. And most, but not all, people that own them are people who shouldn't own a fish as a pet let alone a dog.

I don't think this is true. If a dog is trained, it shouldn't attack. If it does that animal should be destoryed regardless of the breed or the circumstances of the bite, provoked or unprovoked.

I agree with this. The doberman was labled as the most dangerous dog her in the US before they focused on the American Pit Bull Terrier. In a few years another breed will the focued on and the APBT will take a back seat.

So currently there is not breed restrictions? Is there any law in consideration that might make this a possiblity in the future?

I do like the law that holds owner accoutable for the actions of their animals. If a dog kills someone, that owner should be held accountable for manslaughter I think. Of course, I am very strict and hold my own dogs to a very high standard, and expect them to know the differance between a human and a hog. And to obey my command without a second thought.

It seems this breed is under the same scurtinany there as it is here in the US. I know that England has banned this breed, however, kept their own breed, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, protected from this law. Though it is strange this breed has been around since the early 1900s and it is just now starting to get attention such as this.

6. Petr_B

Petr_B Well-Known Member

Very true. But such people still do exist and some others were hurt because of them.

Dog is still an animal and even well trained dog can sometimes behave just on instinct. I believe even such dogs can attack a child when it e.g. pokes its eye, punches its muzzle etc. Of course little children don't know better, it's a parent responsibility to keep an eye on it. But I believe that dog owners should also play it safe and never let small children play with big dogs, there have been numerous cases when a dog attacked (even an owner's) child to which it was very friendly before.

I'm not aware of any recent attempts to pass such a law here. Of course, after some heavily publicized attacks, particularly against children, there appear voices suggesting to introduce some ban / restrictions on fighting dogs but that's all - I don't think there's a lobbying group strong enough to persuade lawmakers. But this could change quite fast, e.g. because a streak of very bad attacks against children.

By the way the UK is not the only European country applying some prohibitive measures against certain dog breeds. Germany also introduced quite strict law against such dogs in 2001, as can be seen e.g. here (including quite long list of "dangerous" breeds, I have no idea if this article reflects the changes introduced in 2004 - it seems that the law got somewhat softened then).

7. CZdansky

CZdansky Member

Thanks for the link Petr_B. I wasn't aware that Germany also passed a law like this. I do think there needs to be restrictios on the ownership of these animals.

No dog, regarless of size, should be left alone with a child. There was a case here in the US a few years back where a mother left her baby in a crib with a pomeranian dog in the room. Those dogs are no more than a few pounds. The dog jumped into the crib and mauled the baby. The child died.

How long has the streak of attacks by these types of dogs gone on? Is it just these, or have some of the instances been other breeds as well?

I know that here in Oklahoma we've had a "streak" of attacks, but most of the time when they show the picture of the dogs it looked more like a shepard of some sort, and once it was a lab. It had long hair and tan points and they were calling the dog an APBT... Our law enforcement need some training on how to identify these dogs.

8. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Just the other day, I heard a news story from upstate New York about a pitbull who sodomized a two-year-old.