doing a report on christmas in czech republic

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by trvlchnnlluvr, Dec 15, 2005.

1. trvlchnnlluvr

trvlchnnlluvr New Member

Hey all. I was surfing Google for info for my report and came across this site. :?: What's a good recipie that represents the Christmas festivities? :?: I'd like to made a dessert for my class to eat while i'm presenting my research paper. Thanks! :wink:

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

3. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have a suggestion you could make Hoska, it is a Czech Christmas Bread, I think its similair to fruit cake (both having candied fruit). I have made Hoska before, I made it last year, I liked the bread part but the candied fruit wasn';t to my liking, I never tasted fruit cake before so I don't know if it tast like it or not!
    heres a site you can get the recipe off of:
    http://bread.allrecipes.com/AZ/CzechChristmasHoska.asp
    heres another idea- i couldn't find a web-site so i'll type out my recipe...
    Czechoslovakian Christmas Cookies
    10-12 dozen
    Chill-1 week

31/4 cup of flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
    3/4 teasp. allspice
    1/4 teasp. nutmeg
    1/4 teasp. salt
    1/2 cup butter, at room temp.
    1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1 cup of warmed molasses

1) Combine-flour,baking soda, spices and salt
    2) In a big bowl, cram the butter and brown sugar. Beat in the molasses. Gradually blend in dry ingrediants. If the mixture seems to dry add warm water 1 teasp. at a time. Shape the dough into a disk, wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for a week.
    3) 3 hours before ready to bake remove dough from refrigerated
    4) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
    6) bake for 7-10 minutes, until lightly colored. Transfrer to wire racks to cool. Store in airtight containers

4. magan

magan Well-Known Member

RUZETE: HOSKA is NOT Czech....I thing that you are in Alaska way too long.... and it would not be like fruit cake either.

What you have in mind is VANOCKA, which egg bread with raising and perhaps some almonds. It is shaped by making braids with dough and building they in three layers (this would be too difficult for anyone to make without some experience).

As to your recipe for Czech Christmas cookies, I again have to say that you are mistaken and have recipe for something which is not CZECH.

Sorry Ruzete, I have no idea about your background, but I am sure you did not grow up anywhere near Czech kitchen.

5. magan

magan Well-Known Member

RUZETE: after reading recipe you included, I realized that you were NEVER in the kitchen - not even in Alaska. Actually, I suspect that you cannot even boil water. Do not panish unsuspecting readers.

6. magan

magan Well-Known Member

RUZETE: after reading recipe you included (Czech Christmas cookies), I realized that you were NEVER in the kitchen - not even in Alaska. Actually, I suspect that you cannot even boil water. Do not panish unsuspecting readers.

Sorry, I don't want to be nasty, but you previously also included Czech recipe (for potato dumplings) which showed that you eather didn't copy it right or from the wrong source and you never even had that food before. It is not fair to other people who are trying to learn. Please do not post recipes again.

7. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

Good heavens, does someone need a nap? Ruzete didn't say it would taste like fruitcake, she even admitted she'd never eaten fruitcake. I certainly don't see why you feel the need to insult her ("you cannot even boil water") simply for including recipes that you consider insufficiently authentic.

Further, I've heard numerous US Czechs (including many of my apparently moronic relatives) refer to what is now called vanocky as hoska.

I suspect that this term changed at some point because everyone I've heard use "hoska" to mean the "braided bread" type dish were Czechs whose ancestors came to the US over 100 years ago.

Yes, let's try to be accurate, but remember that one person's kolach is another's danish. :)

Susan

8. wer

wer Well-Known Member

9. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Yes, Dorothy, I did need my nap..........I was a bit crabby. And I need new glasses too....I insulted TWICE (OR THREE TIMES) - not seeing that second version. :oops: I appologize for not being sensitive and not putting it in more kinder ways. :oops: I just got annoyed imagining that someone, who asked for help on this website, would use recipes posted by Ruzete.

I appologize, but I still keep "could not even boil the water" as it is a fact, not insult and there are many people who would say that about themselves. :)

10. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

Hi Magan,
    as you can see i googled the online recipe looking for food made for Christmas in the Czech Republic http://bread.allrecipes.com/AZ/CzechChristmasHoska.asp
    you can blame Carol Ponec-Nemec who submitted the recipe online if you don't agree with what it is called. Obviously it is used in more then one term(as SMZ and wer stated)so its a matter of opinion.

...so it was not me that was mistaken, but you. I am 17, so i don't bake very much, and i have only two Czech recipe books that were suggested by this very site-which is where the dumpling recipe came from. which in fact I have eaten, my grandma (TOMASEK) made it for me a million times before she died. About the cookies, that was out of a festive cook book, I guessed that it was of Czech origin considering the name.
    I don't know how you could sit here and insult me over and over, and end up wrong.

I have been a member of this site almost two year, and never have I read anything so ferocious until now.

11. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

I am not one of them that would say that about myself.
    i looked it up just to let you know what fact means-
    fact - a concept whose truth can be proved; "scientific hypotheses are not facts"

i don't think you can prove i can't boil water, especially since in most parts of Alaska you wouldn't live long if you couldn't.[/b]

12. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

BTW:
    Houska (< húska, húscě) means (little) goose. The vánočka looks like a small goose when it is in the oven. Perhaps originally used as a joke. Now it is a common word which means entirely something else. Don't say houska when you want to order a real goose.