Don't give up and never say never

Discussion in 'General Language' started by gypzy, Jan 19, 2007.

1. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

I have been trying to learn Czech for quite some time now. I haven't gotten very far. Sometimes I get distracted by other projects, sewing, scrapbooking, fixing stuff, genealogy. Then I don't get back to my learning when I am done w/ said projects. It is not super difficult when I do get into my learning. Sometimes the learning material stares at me and I say "wow, this is a new language, I will never learn, I am no spring chicken". Once I pick up the learning books I wonder why I was so intimidated in the first place :roll: :?:
    The reason for my writing this is I want to let other people who feel like me sometimes, that they should not give up. You are more likely to learn if you try than if you don't try at all. I have ordered a Czech Bible. And once I get that I want to read it along side my English Bible. Of course it won't match word for word, but the verses will be about the same ideas. This will also get me to read my Bible more often, in any language. I truly believe that with God, all things are possible :D ! Even in language learning. Even if you are not Christian there may be other literature translations that would inspire you to compare and learn. I hope all this makes sense. And don't give up!

gypzy

2. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

gypzy, keep up the good work. I take lessons each week (almost) and I feel like it's going soooooooo slow. Understanding is worse than reading it. They talk sooooo fast and all the words slur together. My husband has the Czech bible on CD. I figured that once I get a little better at knowing the language, I would start listening to his czech bible. Call it killing 2 birds with one stone. Getting the Word of God in my spirit and at the same time practicing my comprehension of Czech. :lol:

3. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Do you know, which edition/translation you have ordered? There exist at the moment at least two important czech translations. The classical one "Bible Kralická" with rather archaic language (last historical Kralice edition from 1613) and a modern Ecumenic Translation (Bible, ekumenický překlad, about 1979). There is a new project running to translate the bible into Czech, see http://www.sweb.cz/preklad.bible/uvod.html

4. Karel_lerak

5. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

I believe it is this one. I am currently bidding on it. The seller is a Christian bookseller on ebay, from Ukraine. I asked him if it was Catholic or Protestant and he told me it is an Ecunemical translation. It is new , but from 1985.

6. Karel_lerak

For learning Czech it is a better choice. The language of the "Bible kralická" is sometimes difficult to understand even for czech native speakers. :wink:

7. durk

durk Well-Known Member

Instead of a Bible, I got a giant Czech recipe book and it motivates me to learn more because pictures look so delicious. I want to cook them so bad :p :D :)

8. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Hey, whatever motivates the soul! :wink:

9. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

I wish you much well in your learning and much well in your cooking.