drinking age in prague

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by mikey, Feb 16, 2007.

1. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

It is, in more ways than one. Mam rad Praha.

2. geauxboy

geauxboy Well-Known Member

Glenn, you are NOT kidding. I lived in Pinellas County for a while and was absolutely amazed at their public transpo system, or the lack there of. You did not exagerate one bit. New Orleans is a smaller city and it's public transpo is rather good. You can even get transfers to other Parish (or county for the rest of the country) bus lines. Tampa is geared for those who have cars, and you are gonna need it. The city is so spread out that you HAVE to have a vehicle just to get to the grocery store.

The movies that you see that take place in NYC, you can bet that the majority take the public transpo.

And to stick to the thread topic, Prague, in my opinion, seems to have the same vibe as New Orleans when it comes to underage drinking. If you have the guts to order a drink, they may give you a look, but they'll still serve you.

3. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

If it is just to drink beer or wine and not get disorderly drunk, it's not grave. :)

4. stevothedrunk

stevothedrunk New Member

hi im english and fake english id is not rare lol and we have card for id u can buy we dont use passport coz carring that round is dumb :lol: also why are all u american so nice 2 each other no1 hear is wanting 2 corse any offence lol.

btw piss up in prague on wednesday woop woop i love it

5. GlennInFlorida

:?: this isn't a cell phone - you can type all you want and not get charged. "Text Messaging" responses are difficult for non-native-english speakers and we have many here.

Why wouldn't we Americans be nice to each other (as well as everyone else here)? There is no point in "flaming" someone for no reason.

Slang doesn't work well either - "piss up" may mean "get drunk" in England but here it just means to urinate towards the sky (which could get rather messy) :)

6. stevothedrunk

stevothedrunk New Member

:lol: okay i will speek in full words just for anyone who dosnt speek text :p also dotn take anything i say too serious :lol: coz most of the time im having a laugh. i just cant wait going to prague today whoo

7. stevothedrunk

stevothedrunk New Member

can i ask what are the rules about drugs in prague because i have no clue please post thanks :D

8. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

To Stevothedrunk: Can you please tell us where you're going to in Prague and then all of us who live there can avoid it! We spend a lot of time explaining to our Czech friends that not all young men in the UK spend all their time getting drunk...

9. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

Well said Gina. :)

Idiots like Stevothedrunk make me very angry. :evil: Sometimes i feel embarrassed to be English. :oops:

10. GlennInFlorida

Well, it just seems such a waste - going to Prague and being concerned with drinking and doing drugs. You can drink and do drugs (if you are so inclined) anywhere - in Prague your soul can sing.

11. Polednikova

Thanks, Robin. And presumably he's now on his way over here so he won't see your words of wisdom, Glenn. And in any case, I don't somehow think his soul is in the habit of doing much singing...

12. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Wissy, I understand your pride for your country and the fact that you feel embarrassed when others from your country participate in various activities with which you may disagree. But would it be fair to say that others might equally be embarrassed by people who verbally attack and call names of those who hold different values and interests?

Not that I care that you called Stevothedrunk an idiot. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. Perhaps many here agree with you. I'm simply pointing out that someone may take issue with your name calling just as you took issue with his behavior. 8)

P.S. Someone may also take issue with the fact that I pointed this out to you. They may interpret it as arrogant, audacious, and self-righteous. I hope not because that is not how it is intended. I merely wanted to point out that we all have different values and sometimes those values offend others. :wink:

13. Polednikova

I'm not sure if you're aware of the sort of behaviour we're talking about here. It's nothing to do with having different values.

Now it may be that Stevothedrunk is not one of them but what I think Wissy has in mind - as do I - are what are called in the UK 'lager louts'. They get blind drunk - and others have less polite phrases for it - on a Friday and Saturday night, then pour out of the pubs and clubs into our town centres and cause untold problems for the local police by throwing up, getting into fights, abusing taxi drivers and by getting involved in other forms of anti-social behaviour. And unbelievably, the girls can be just as bad as the lads.

Unfortunately, because the price of beer is so cheap in Prague compared with the UK, we have planes loads of them coming over here and causing the same sort of mayhem in Wenceslas Square. I have a friend at the British Embassy here and you wouldn't believe the things she and her colleagues have to get involved in when they are on duty at the weekends.

I truly hope you don't have the same problems in America but I can assure you that the bad behaviour of thankfully a minority of UK visitors to Prague is a frequent source of shame and embarrassment to the rest of us Brits here.

I'm sorry if that makes me sound like a reactionary because I'm actually pretty liberal when it comes to tolerating the behaviour of others but I don't see why anyone should have to tolerate the kind of inconsiderate, boorish, anti-social behaviour Wissy and I were talking about.

14. GlennInFlorida

I've seen the "lager louts" in Prague - made me ashamed to speak the same (sort of :wink: ) language... afraid natives might think I'm one of the drunks

15. Polednikova

Glenn: however much you enjoy the beer over here, I am sure there is no way that you would ever be mistaken for a British lager lout!

16. GlennInFlorida

Well, I hope not. I'm a very quiet, happy drunk (and my Czech gets remarkably better!) :lol:

Most British tourists that I have run in to are quite nice - can't say the same about some (Ugly) Americans and a few pushy Germans - but, all in all, most folks try to be nice.

17. Petr_B

Petr_B Well-Known Member

Is this another case of that infamous "political corectness" when we are supposed to just shut up and don't say what we think, because we might offend someone? Expressing one's opinion is a taboo now?
    If it's so, then it's truly sad. In the end, one would have to stay silent for good or stick to lies, because there's always someone who will feel offended. It's the extreme case steveofthedrunk himself described so nicely:
    I won't hesitate to "verbally attack" (read: express my opinion about) people who hold "values" like these.

18. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Petr_B: [​IMG] I have no words do add.

19. eso

eso Well-Known Member

What if one of that cultural values is calling names? :cool: :cool: :cool:

20. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

Idiot ....... :evil: