Eastern Influence?

Discussion in 'Culture' started by usak, Mar 29, 2005.

1. usak

usak Well-Known Member

Hello
    I was just curious how much of an Eastern Influence there is in the Czech Republic, either just culture or physical similarity. I'm mainly curious about this because I am only part Czech but I am often asked if I am part Chinese, because i Have semi slanted eyes. Is this common in the Czech Republic or am I just deformed?

2. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

There is Eastern influence in CR, but not that Eastern :)
    Ukraine, Russia and similar countries yes; China, Mongolia, Japan etc not.

3. usak

usak Well-Known Member

Thats what I thought, but I have also heard that some people who knew Czech have been able to understand some Japanese :shock:
    oh well, guess im just deformed :lol:

4. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

I am sure there also are some people who know English and are able to understand some Japanese :) But Czech language is not even similar to Japanese.

5. gkhng81

gkhng81 New Member

Hi,

I'm Malaysian and I've been discussing with my Czech friend about some lingual similarities between Malay and Czech. E.g.:

pineapple = 'nenas' or 'nanas' in Malay
    school = 'sekolah'

My friend told me that the Czech translation of 'driving school' has the world 'sekolah' in it. And apparently there's some similarities between Czech and Malay for the word 'pineapple'.

Most interestingly, if I give my Czech friend a Malay text to read, he could pronounce it PERFECTLY! Conversely, if I read Czech the way I would read Malay text, he could understand me as well.

Any comments on that?

Cheerios
    Khim.

6. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

The roots of similarities between Malaysian and Czech are to be found in so-called Indo-European language; its existence, however not confirmed by any written documents, is assumed by linguists. Basing on the above mentioned vocabulary similarities in various European and Indian languages (e.g. mother - English, Mutter - German, mater - Latin, madre - Italian, Spanish, mere - French, mater - Slovak, matka - Czech, Polish, maƄ - Russian, mata - Hindi, etc.), the theory of a common language in the history of the continent was developed.

7. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

the mongols did invade parts of central europe during the thirteenth century thus there might be some influence - i too was also questioned about it in the united states

8. usak

usak Well-Known Member

well i mean its not that obvious-at least to me. but recently i have been called ghenghis khan etc lol. my eyes arent as slanted as an oriental persons but still slightly, so it could possibly be the mongol influence

9. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

Malay and Czech being related? Of course it's a joke. :lol:
    Malay is an Austronesian language whereas Czech is an Indo-european language.
    The two words you quote are borrowings.
    The words for "school" come from Latin, and one reached the Malay world through Portuguese.
    The words for "pineapple" come from Guarani. Like many others, the plant was brought from America to South-East Asia by the Portuguese and the Spaniards during the Renaissance. :)

10. Qcumber

Looking Asian? Perhaps you have some Hungarian blood, and, of course, the Mongols is not a bad explanation.

11. usak

usak Well-Known Member

well im part czech and the rest is pretty much irish/scandinavian so Czech is pretty much the only explanation for the eyes i guess.

12. uuspoiss

uuspoiss Well-Known Member

Even though I don't know a thing about Malay, I can assume this is because both languages are phonetic, i.e. spelling is similar to pronounciation. For example Czech and Estonian are more or less phonetic languages, while English and Dutch are not.

Recently there was an article in a newspaper here about a Chinese student in the University. He is studying similarities in Chinese and the Finno-Ugric languages. He had several examples of similar words, but most probably these are either just coincidence or loans to one or both of the languages from a common source.

13. Qcumber

Phonetic languages? What's that? :)
    I suppose you mean that the _spelling_ of these languages in Latin characters is more or less phonetic.

14. Qcumber

You can always find words that travel far, and are borrowed along the way by several languages belonging to different families.
    This phenomenon must have existed since prehistorical time. Take for example the words for "fire", and you'll realize most of them obviously come from a common ancestor.

15. uuspoiss

uuspoiss Well-Known Member

Yes, of course, sorry for being vague.

16. szarkafarka

szarkafarka Well-Known Member

The Tatar hordes invaded Moravia (not Bohemia) in 1241 and stayed there for cca 2 weeks. It is nearly impossible to find mongoloid (sinoid) Czechs after 764 years.

Personnally I know only one mongoloid Czech, but his mother is a Tatar from the former Soviet Union, and not from the Golden Horde.

Also the Hungarians are not mongoloid, the vast majority of the Hungarian nation are Hungarized Slavs, Germans, Jews, etc. Some "Hungarians" are Gypsies in fact, but the Gypsies are not mongoloid, too. They came from India.

17. usak

usak Well-Known Member

I really dont know what Im talking about :lol: My czech ancestors were gypsies. Like i said i could just be deformed :lol: doc pinched my face during delivery :lol:

18. Qcumber

Szarkafarka, some Hungarians and some Bulgarians do have features that hail from the steppes of Central Asia. Of course, if you take the Slavs, who constitute the majority, you won't find in them such features.
    Do you think that Turkic people during the Turkish colonization could have brought these genes?

19. szarkafarka

szarkafarka Well-Known Member

The problem is more complex. Turkic peoples constitute one linguistic group, but differ in physical appearance. Some are Mongoloids (Tatars, Uzbeks), but the majority of Turkic people possesses Caucasian characteristics. The Turks themselves definitely are not Mongoloids.

20. Qcumber

Yes, the problem is quite complex.