Electricity!

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by czpauly, Mar 5, 2004.

1. czpauly

czpauly Member

Okay, I'm moving to Czech in September, and I have some electrical accessories (laptop, dig. camera, etc.) that I'll be bringing with me... anyone know where I can find good converters? Thanks!

2. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Hi czpauly,

The first thing you will need to determine is if you need a converter or an adaptor. The sockets there give out 230 Volts/50 Hz and it may be the case that your laptop and digital camera power supplies automatically switch voltages. Look on the power supplies and see if they can handle 230 Volts/50 Hz. If they can, then you would only need an adaptor which would enable the US plug to fit into the Czech outlet.

3. czpauly

czpauly Member

Awesome! Thanks Jeff! Is there a special name for the czech ac? Something I could look for easier? It's a universal plug in europe, isn't it?

4. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

For a non-grounded plug, the adapter has two round plugs. I know this is also used in France, but I don't think it is used everywhere in Europe. I'm not sure if there is a name for it, but it might be considered a Continental Europe adapter.

5. Sven

Sven Member

I think there's no difference between czech and german sockets. Look at this:

[​IMG]

The contacts on the upper and the lower side of the socket are for grounding, but it's not necessary to have such plugs on the electrical devices.

6. czpauly

czpauly Member

Ha! You just unleashed the key to revive FRANKENSTEIN....
    .....and so the plot thickens.......

j/k - thanks guys :D

7. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

The czech sockets look like this:

[​IMG]

Two power holes, one grounding pin.

The plug should have two pins (devices that do not need grounding) or two pins and a hole.

The plugs are usually a bit universal - my PC's power cord has a plug with both the hole and the contacts for the German way of grounding.

8. georgiocz

georgiocz Member

i have the same need as pauly. i will bring my laptop, which has an american plug, and i purchased an adaptor so i can plug directly into czech power outlet... *boom* but if i connect my laptop to 230volts, its fried. so, im hoping someone has an idea of a power converter i can buy to plug into the czech outlet and not fry mu computer... ideas? suggestions... i hoped i could but the converter online before i arrived, but cant seem to search ebay for what im looking for, as im not sure what im looking for.
    my laptop downt have any power options other than use batter and use ac. thats american ac by the way, 110 volt... thanks for helping out! i arrive in europe 5 april, and prague 15 april...georgio

9. drknow

drknow New Member

You'll need two items. first you need a step down transformer --from 230VAC to 115 VAC, however you are stuck with the 50Hz ( this will only affect your internal clock which needs the 60Hz to function accuretly. Hence , you clock will run faster than usual), the cost is around $29.99 This will keep from frying the unit (Radio Shack has them in the US) second you'll need a European adopter - this accepts your US plug and adopts it to the european socket so you may plug it into the outlet..

PS. A converter is a transformer that "converts" AC to DC. you need to "step" down the current from 230 to 115 AC.

10. cullun

cullun New Member

I wanted to see how the move went. I live in Kansas City, but went to school in Springfield (SMSU). Thought I'd get the opinion of someone from the same place. =)

11. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

Laptops covert the energy w/o a convertor. Desktops have the switch in the rear (careful to switch it prior to startup). My Dell notebook required me to buy a cord here, that was it. I use a small convertor from Radio shack (25 bucks) for my oral-b and Gilette razor coupled with a plug adaptor I bought here (100 kc)...

12. cypressluc

cypressluc New Member

Hi! And in what outlets can I find a plug adaptor... They don t have it in Datart...
    Let me know, Thnaks

13. eso

eso Well-Known Member

14. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Take a look at Tesco or at an "elektro" or "elektropotřeby" store.