Ends of names

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Ruzete, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

I'm learning Czech and in my book it says on last names of women end in -ova, and if your name ends in ek, ec,... that you remove the e and replace it with the-ova. So if thats so would Carter be Cartrova? if not what would it be?

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Well, for Carter (as an example), it would be Carterová, as the surname is not of Czech origin. But for Sládek, the female surname will be Sládková, Hošek - Hošková etc. Interesting is the surname Fiala, as the female form Fialová can also be derived from Fialový. Surnames ending by -ý (adjectives) adopt -á for females, identically to regular adjectives; e.g. Holý - Holá, Nový - Nová etc.

3. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

So would Tomasek be Tomaskova? (sorry i don't have accents)

4. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Yes; Tomášek - Tomášková, Mašek - Mašková, Hašek - Hašková, Tomeček - Tomečková etc. etc. There are hundreds of Czech surnames ending -ek, as it is a suffix used in diminutives.

5. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

Thank you so much!

6. paigeri

paigeri Member

My name is Paige Ryan. While in the CR should I change it to Paige Ryanova? Or is there any other way to make my name look more czech?

7. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Well, in everyday contact with people you may introduce yourself as Paige Ryanová, but all your official documents should keep your original name. I am sorry, but I do not know about any other way you could make your name sound more Czech, unless you get (and I am sure you would, if you stayed in CR long enough) some Czech nickname or "Czechized" version of your first name, like Pažinka, Pažulka, even Pažitka (chives). :)