ENG > CZ please

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by kilosierra, Mar 11, 2009.

1. kilosierra

kilosierra Well-Known Member

Can someone please translate:

"Do not open until March 26"

Thank you

2. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Just so people can understand the context, KS, I presume you want to write it on a birthday present and that it's an instruction to the recipient that they mustn't open it until their birthday on 26 March?

OK. My opening bid is: Neotvírej do 26. března

3. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

One more for you Gina, not need to translate, just explain:

"No hard shoulders" sing on motorway.

4. kilosierra

kilosierra Well-Known Member

Yes, that's right....a birthday gift.....Thank you for the translation!!

Although I'm not sure what Alexx is talking about?? :? Inside joke maybe? I feel a bit embarassed now.... :oops:

5. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Another possibilities:

Neotvírat před 26. březnem.
    Otevřít až 26. března.

6. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

It means that the edges of the road off of the pavement have not been strengthened to support a vehicle - you might sink a bit, lose control or get stuck in it.

7. wer

wer Well-Known Member

So, shoulder means “krajnice”.

Trafic sign A28, Nezpevněná krajnice:

[​IMG]

8. GlennInFlorida

yes, exactly

and yet another reason to use standard symbols when possible instead of language :)

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Heh, that really is not what I thougth. It always was around exits from the road - sign "No hard houlders for 500 yds" and similar, so I thought it has something to do with exits or changing lines...

10. wer

wer Well-Known Member

That’s a must here in the Babel of Europe, but I understand that the labels could be more reasonable in the States. You needn’t know all the strange signs. Not every sign is as instructive as this one.

11. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

You however need to know all the strange labels :).

12. wer

wer Well-Known Member

OK, that was not the best word. :D

Should be “text signs” instead.

13. Polednikova

Sorry I wasn't around yesterday to solve this little English mystery. :)

On UK motorways or dual carriageways, there is what is called the hard shoulder. It's the strip of road to the left of the road. It's made to the same standard as the road but on motorways, you can only stop there in an emergency.

If there are roadworks affecting the hard shoulder or perhaps Highways Agency (the body responsible for maintaining the motorways) vehicles parked on the hard shoulder, they put up signs saying "No hard shoulder" (NB singular, not plural) to warn motorists in case they are perhaps having problems with their car and think they might have to stop.

I've just had a quick look to see if I could find one of the signs, but I suspect there isn't one, which is why they have to say "No hard shoulder". But I did find this:

http://www.driving-test-success.com/the ... est002.htm

It's quite amusing - as it's obviously a set of tests you can take on-line as practice for the theoretical part of your driving test. Test your driving skills!

14. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I guess hard shoulder is same as "odstavný pruh" in Czech, then.
    Only here is on right side of road, of course.

My score in your test:

You have made 5 errors.
    Total score: 30.

15. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Now, I’m a little confused, krajnice or odstavný pruh?

My technical dictionary says:

odstavný pruh - emergency lane, breakdown lane, hard shoulder
    krajnice - shoulder
    zpevněná krajnice - hard shoulder
    nezpevněná krajníce - soft shoulder

16. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Goodness, I got 15 errors, what got me a lot was that there would be no line crossing over the circle, yet it still meant "no" doing whatever the picture had. For instance, # 34 equals "no cycling" yet there is no diagonal line over the circle. The other one that completely threw me is how the word Ford can mean water on the road. :?

17. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

You have made 6 errors.
    Total score: 29.

hm.. :-/

18. Polednikova

A ford is a crossing over a river. In practice, it's usually where the road goes through the river at very shallow point so that you can drive over it. They're not that common and they're only found in the country. Do you not have them in America?

19. GlennInFlorida

no, not really - only perhaps in some very rural areas on an unfinished (dirt) road.

there are signs that warn of standing water after a heavy rain (usually say "flood prone") - at least here in Florida anyway

20. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Not sure that we use 'ford' as a noun.
    But I have heard it as a verb.
    The wagon train will ford the river in the morning.