Few clarification questions

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Tmassey27, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Tmassey27

Tmassey27 Member

I am trying to clear up my Czech Sentence context issues. how would the following be translated:

Because of your (e.g. You will get the job because of your talent)

(Protoze tvoje?)(e.g. Budes mit tohle prace protoze tvoje nadani)

I am curious why you want to know, why you are interested....

(Jsem zvedvy, proc rad bych vedet? nebo "chtel bych")

I've been teaching myself Czech for about 4 months and I have a lot of small "clear-up" questions to smooth my Czech up a bit.....

Thank you!

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

3. Tmassey27

Tmassey27 Member

Another quick question for whomever

Studuju vs. Studuji, Is the difference in that one is colloquial and the other is not?

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Exactly. The first one is colloquial and the other is not.

I am not expert, but I guess when the werb ends -ovat (studovat, pracovat, sledovat, rozdělovat, rozměňovat, přidělovat,...), you can create 1st person sg. like this

Formal - Colloquial

Studuji - Studuju
    Pracuji - Pracuju
    Sleduji - Sleduju
    Rozděluji - ju
    Rozměňuji - ju
    Přiděluji - ju

3rd person pl. is similar:

Studují - Studujou
    Pracují - Pracujou

5. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about how colloquial is colloquial. You generally hear dekuju rather than dekuji - which is a shame because dekuji was one of the few Czech words I knew as a child and hence I find it very difficult to remember to say dekuju.

But does colloquial mean that it's only used in spoken Czech and when you write, you would always put dekuji or studuji? Colloquial/spoken Czech for a small beer is malý pivo instead of malé pivo but I think I'm right in saying that you wouldn't write malý pivo.

6. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

ICQ, chat, forum - děkuju
    Formal letter - děkuji

Where I live (Karviná/Ostrava) we would order "malé pivo". But we actualy order just "pivo" (="velké pivo"= 0,5l) :) instead

7. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

In this region you would order "male pivo" (short e) :)

8. Polednikova

I'm a girl and don't drink 0,5ls so this is not just an academic question! But now I really don't understand. I've never heard male pivo, with a short e, and I live in Prague. I must listen out for it.

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Because you hardly can hear it in Prague.

People in Prague (and some other areas in Bohemia) tend to "lenghten" vowels ("Dvojé velkýý hranolký jó...", "Jedný modrý Petrý prosíím"). We here, in the east (around Ostrava), are right oposite, we tend to "shorten" vowels. ("Dvoje velke hranolky", "Jedny modre Petry prosim"). I do it as well, I was not avare of it, but once I heard myself on video or audio tape, I realized it is true :)

I allways say that people in Prague have a lot of time to chat, but we have to work hard in Ostrava and our conversation must to be "time-saving". :wink:

10. Polednikova

Sorry. I misunderstood Karel. When he said 'in this region", I thought he meant "this region ie this region where I live" ie Prague! No wonder I've not heard it here!

11. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

It's not only the length of vowels, but also the stress. In north-east Moravia (Ostrava region), the stress is like in polish usually on the next to the last syllable and stronger than in Prague and generally in Bohemia. Another difference from "standard czech" is, that there still the i and y differ in pronunciation, so usually the people from Ostrava have no problems in othography of these.

12. Tmassey27

Tmassey27 Member

To be fair, as an amateur Czech speaker. "Male" is only used (in Prague) when a Pivo normalni (velke) is too much..... So if you order a pivo you will get a velke (normalni) pivo....... You won't hear "male" in Prague unless you can't handle your alcohol...... so it has nothing to do with having too much time to talk..... but simply your capacity to embibe quality beer.....

13. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I ment we shorten vowels to spare time :) not order small beer to spare time. We would never do that :-D

We usually order small beer if you are having lunch during work break, or If you know you are gonna drive soon (but not imediatelly).