Finding Surname

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by USAJES, Feb 5, 2006.

1. USAJES

USAJES New Member

:roll:
    I WOULD LIKE TO FIND AS MUCH INFORMATION ON MY FATHER'S FAMILY.
    THEY ARRIVED 1920 TO ELLIS ISLAND,FROM sienna chechoslovakia,
    NAME: HODOVANEC.
    THANKS SO MUCH

2. hougreg1965

hougreg1965 Member

I find two persons with the last name Hodonavec arriving at Ellis Island in 1921. They are listed at www.ellisisland.org

1) Anna Hodovanec, age 40, arriving 1921
    2) Michael Hodovanec, age 26, arriving 1921.

For specifics, I can PM you and give you a link to information on these two names. Good luck, hope these are the ones you are looking for.

Greg Rabel
    Houston, TX, USA

3. USAJES

USAJES New Member

THANKS, i HOPED FOR INFORMATION ON sienna chechoslovakia, THIS IS WHERE THEY CAME FROM. aLSO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THERE;S ANY FAMILY LEFT ?

tHANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

4. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

HEY, USAJES, CAN YOU STOP WRITING IN CAPITAL LETTERS??? YOU KNOW, HOW MUCH IS IT ANNOYING?!?!?!?!

On the Ellis Island webpage is Michael Hodovanec, Czechoslovakia, village Orechova. I looked it up, it's not village in Czech, but it's in Slovak. Go to http://www.mapy.sk and type Orechova there.

Anna Hodovanec has listed village Kolonina. I couldn't find it on neither Czech nor Slovak map though.

And Sienna Czechoslovakia, what means Czechoslovakia is obvious, but what means Sienna? It's not Czech word, it has to cheesy translation of something.

5. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

Isn't Sienna in Italy?

6. USAJES

USAJES New Member

thank you for all your help. I have no idea where sienna chechoslovakia, is located, i found it on the ellis island site, where my grandmmother's ship infomation was.
    NAME: HODOVANEC., is the correct name, but they wrote it as Hodovanck. My dad has since passed away and no relatives to ask these questions to. So thank you again. :(

7. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Ship information? Czechoslovakia was landlocked. I think Siena refers to Italian harbor.

8. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like Siena, Italy is a port town, but then you wouldn't think Hamburg would be either considering its location. Could "Sienna" really be Snina? It's a town in eastern Slovakia.

9. KooKoo

KooKoo Member

May I suggest that you try the following links to hlep you in your search:
    This is a link to a town locator http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp
    For more help in locating the origin of your ancestors try this link and sign up to participate in their message board. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... /index.htm
    I would also suggest that you try www.RootsWeb.com and www.FamilySearch.org to search your ancestors. I have found lots of informaiton from these sites. You might be surprised on who else is researching your family.

Good luck in your search and may God bless you as He as mine.
    Mary from Arkansas, USA :D

10. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

Sienna may be a transcription from Cенна. Take into consideration that Czechoslovakia in 1921 included some part of todays Ukraine. Several Sienna's and Sienno's exist in Poland.
    ----------------------------
    hay:
    Czech, Slovak: noun seno, adj. senný, senná, senné
    Polish: noun siano, adj. sienny, sienna, sienno
    Russian: noun сено, adj. сенной, сенная, сенное

11. questors

questors New Member

The manifest is typed, not handwritten so it is easy to see that the name of the town is Snina. The nationality of the family is listed as "Slovak."

12. Howard Kouzel

Howard Kouzel New Member

Jews don't eat protestants or catholics. They are not kosher. uote="Ceit"]Isn't Sienna in Italy?[/quote]