Garbage Collection in Czech Republic

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by Fate83, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Fate83

Fate83 Member

Hello, I am taking a class on Global Cultures. One of our assignments is to speak with or chat with people from Czech Republic. One of the questions we are to ask is:

How is garbage collection dealt with in the Czech Republic?

Any help you can give with this topic would be appreciated. Silly question I know, but the answer could prove to be enlightening.

Thank you in advance for your help :)

2. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

well, as far as I can tell, they too all hold the Ing. degree ! :}

Recycling is a nightmare, I have to walk 2 blocks just to get to a container :{

3. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Recycling is still a new thing, being quite common only in the last few years. In the past, the only materials being recycled were metal, paper and glass. Now we have added the plastics, and there are collecting centres for dangerous meterials (TV screens, fridges, batteries,...).

But most of the garbage still ends in a bin, being transported to the dump and buried underground. A small percentage of garbage is burnt in incinerators.

The garbage car usually comes every week or two. A family living in a house produces about one bin of garbage (110 litres) a week.

The trouble with recycling is that there is no motivation - we pay a fixed price for garbage collecting, the amount does not matter. So why walk to the container, when you could throw it all to the bin.

4. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

I am still cracking up over the garbage car :}

I think its a truck, or a skoda with a lot of kids...?

5. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Skoda, definitely :)

6. ursula

ursula Well-Known Member

whats so funny about a garbage vehicle, they are still used in a lot of europan countries. even though its usually agarbage truck.

now if you want a real garbage car try a trabant , east german vehicle.
    greetings
    ursula :twisted:

7. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

I really think that the Lada car wins that...:}
    Damn Russians, build it, and then the government comes, takes it away and puts u in jail for having more than they do (Yukos :)))

8. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Truck or car... it is one word in Czech.
    Please, forgive my terrible mistake.

9. ursula

ursula Well-Known Member

sorry my terrible mistake i did not realize truck or car are the same word.
    but i still dont understand whats funny?
    ursula

10. Jirka

Jirka Well-Known Member

Hi J.L.

in my city of 100 thousand, garbage is collected by a local branch of ASA, http://www.asa-cz.cz. At my house they use trash containers as those seen at http://www.asa-cz.cz/en/7008_845.htm. Besides general home waste there are separate containers for paper, PET bottles, and glass, respectively. Especially paper and PET bottles containers are served quite poorly at my house I must say. The general garbage containers are emptied twice a week. ASA has a contract with the municipality and the end users pay to the municipaplity on a per capita basis. The charge is currently about $21 a year per person (at the weak greenback rate).

I don't know how the three kinds of separated waste are treated, but the general garbage is incinerated in a relatively new facility, which, as you can imagine, has been a point of many community disputes, especially because of the issue of potential dioxin pollution (its operator's website is at http://www.termizo.cz; bad English as usual).

There are dedicated hazardous waste (tyres, acid batteries...) collection points. I have no idea how often these are served.

Twice a year, large containers (one per truck) are available in some locations for large items, such as old home appliances.

If there is anything specific about garbage and the Czech Republic, it's a the quantity of litter in towns as well as dogs' excrements that show up mostly in the spring when the snow goes. When I cross the German border nearby, it's a different world from this point of view.

I think more could be said on this topic, so I wonder what else you might want to know...

Jirka