german/czech words

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by zavorka, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Ktot

Ktot Well-Known Member

No, "defenstrate" is English! :D

Our German teacher mentioned the connection to help us remember the word Fenster. But since defenstrate is an uncommon word, it didn't work well.

To quote wikipedia, "Defenestration, from the Latin de (from; out of) and fenestra (window or opening), is the act of throwing someone or something out of a window. The term was coined around the time of an incident in Prague Castle in the year of 1618. Historically, the word defenestration was used to refer to an act of political dissent. Notably, the Defenestrations of Prague in 1419 and 1618 helped to trigger prolonged conflict within Bohemia and beyond..."

And once again it seems that a lot of common words languages share really just all come from the Latin.

As to The Good Soldier Švejk...yes, it is certainly written in a comic/ironic tone. But it has, to me, the problem that a lot of classic literature has of being rather slow; 100 pages in, the prospect of another 700 (despite being unfinished, it is quite long) is daunting.

2. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

That is an english word I never knew. :oops:
    Must be very uncommon.
    You are right, Latin is the basis to many languages.
    You can find the latin root in lots of words.

3. zavorka

zavorka Well-Known Member

I must say about the same tradition in Neaples,
    on the end of the year celebration,
    it was use to defenestrate a lot of old things... especially plates...
    and in italian the word Finestra has the same roots...
    I learnt about "defenestration" when reading the history of Mala Strana,
    in the square where is the church of St. Nicholas, there was a palace, from its windows some ambassador was "defenestrated"...
    I will check the translation of Schweik in italian , if they adapted a different expression for that...

Miro

4. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Kot says: I have never before heard the phrase "to have forty winks." Slightly obscure phrase, maybe?
    Remember, I'm English not American so my English is going to be a bit different from yours! Anyone from England would understand it.

5. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Osudy dobrého Švejka is a very long book I see. Good luck with that.
    Such lengthy books kind intimidate me. I go for the shorter easier reads.
    But over the years I have tackled a few long ones.
    Like '

Everyone seems to be putting pictures up.
    Maybe I should do that.
    Good to see you Polednikova.

6. Ktot

Ktot Well-Known Member

In that case, Polednikova, it has properly been added to my repertoire of British English phrases. :wink:

7. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Thanks. I thought it might be an idea if Glenn knew what I looked like for Friday! Although I have to confess that I had to ask Jeff for help in getting the photo small enough...

8. zavorka

zavorka Well-Known Member

I have one more question,
    in another post, which I am not able to find again, there was a discussion similar to this one, introducing words as Kabela - kabelka
    do you have any idea of which post was it?
    thanks again
    miro

9. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

Můj dva cents in German language.
    Only word that vím is DER :lol: :lol:= THE is what I have been told. :wink: :wink:

10. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

Animal, that's just one third of it, so to say. "die" and "das" also mean "the" but for feminine and neuter nouns respectively, "der" is for masculine ones.

11. Ktot

Ktot Well-Known Member

If, of course, you remain safely in the nominative case...otherwise you get the added spice of "den", "dem" and "des."

I mean really, what language wouldn't benefit from more forms of "the"? Clearly, English missed the boat on that one.

12. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

I allways wonder how could any language benefit from using "the" "a" "an" while you can omit it without change of meaning(or use "this/that" instead;-)

13. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

you forgot "der" (feminine dative), not to be confused with "der" (masculine nominative):)
    do we really need to get into all this?:)

14. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

Ok, děkuji můj strýc had a czech band named ( Der Rhein Steins ) :wink: :wink: