Good internet provider - recommendations or thoughts?

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by gelle, May 15, 2007.

1. gelle

gelle Member

Hi there,

We are two guys moving to Prague June 1st. We've found an apartment in Brevnov and are now working with our landlord to figure out what internet to chose - hope some of you can help us a bit.

We use internet a lot so we need a good, stable connection preferably in the order of 2048/256 or better with unlimited traffic. Stability is more important than price.

Our landlord suggested Ceske Radiokomunikace and Novera. Other people have suggested Czesky Telecom and Tiscali.

Not all providers have English sites so any pointers or comments are greatly appreciated.

I can't wait to get to Prague!

Cheers,

Michael

2. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Hi Michael,

The internet connection I have been using is through Telefonica O2 (the former Czech Telecom). The connection has been reliable. You can find information in English at www.cz.o2.com/home/en/internet/index.html. Keep in mind that their standard internet service, such as "O2 Internet ADSL 2048" has what they call a "Fair User Policy" and does not have unlimited data transfer. Once you go over the monthly limit, which looks like it's 3GB of data, then your connection will be slowed down to 64 kb/s for the rest of the month.

If you need unlimited data, then you will need to go with their O2 Internet Extreme.

3. eso

eso Well-Known Member

This depends on place, where you will stay and money you want spent.

For normal connection - cable is good, if it's accessible.
    If not, then DSL, unlimited packages exist, but they can be expensive.

I have cable internet UPC Light - 3584/256 - 779Kč/month - FUP - 40GB upload and 40GB download per month.

My friend have DSL from Ceske radiokomunikace -
    10 240 / 512 kbps - 1800Kč/month - theoretically no FUP, but they can "protect other customers from persons, who "overeburden" network".

Also there are more types of wirelles networks - wi-fi / CDMA, again it depends on your locality.

4. gelle

gelle Member

Thanks for your input guys!

The limits of the providers annoys me. We are going to be watching a fair amount of streamed material since we wont have a TV. I think we are going to try to go for one of 'unlimited' ones.

-Michael

5. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Some providers offer IPTV - TV over internet which isn't counted into limit. Of course you have to choose from their tv channels portfolio.