grandma's dumplings

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Ruzete, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

Ahoj,
    I just bought some Czech Recipe books, and was reading the potato dumpling recipe. It says that it is a really big dumpling and then cut into slices, i found that when i read about other dumpling mixes that theyre the same way. I remember when my grandma made them for me that they we just little dumplings like the size of half a fist. Is this just another way to make it, or a shorter/easier way?
    i'm curious to any thoughts you have
    dekuji!

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

There are several ways how to make potato dumplings; the dough is the same, but the shape or the size differs according to the accompanying dish. A large dumpling (loaf shaped) cut to slices or small dumplings (not stuffed) are usually served with roast duck or ham and red cabbage or sauerkraut. Medium dumplings ( tennis or baseball ball size) can be filled with cubed ham or cracklings and served with stewed spinach or cabbage or sauerkraut and French fried onion rings. The dough can be also wrapped around wieners, the rolls dipped in mixture of eggs and milk, rolled in bread crumbs and fried, served again with spinach or sauerkraut.

3. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

Here's some pictures:
    The dumpling[​IMG] and then you cut in into slices [​IMG] (I know that this is not potato dumpling, potato dumpling is very similar)
    [​IMG]

4. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

Thanks Jana and Gementricxs for quick replies. So it depends on what you prefer or what your making with it?

5. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Right - you can even make potato pancakes using the same basic recipe for potato dumplings; just roll balls (table spoonful size) flat on flour-covered board and fry them on dry pan, then spread hot pancakes with butter (or, preferably, lard) and plum jelly or sprinkle with ground poppy seed mixed with confectioner´s sugar. This is a traditional meal of my grandmother´s, usually, it was served with coffee with milk for lunch or dinner. My family just loves them any time I am willing to fix them!